Part 12

Liam: Where are you? The seat I got you is empty.

Liam: Beth?

Liam: The show is nearly over! What could you be doing?"

I grabbed my phone, reading the texts. I was still trying to get off my eye makeup. I was hurrying, but I had things to do after the show. I couldn't just change and run off. I nearly looked normal when I ran for the stage, went around the back, trying to figure out how to get to my seat. I heard the opening notes of 'Little White Lies." It was the second to last song. I needed to get to the seats. I decided to leave the backstage area and jump a wall, running over to the seats, clutching my ticket. I was stopped by a security guard. I showed him my ticket and he pointed to the aisle I needed to go down to get to my seat. I had to go to the back of the crowd, walk up the center, then have a guard let me through a rope. After that, I still had to find my seat. Once again, I ran. The song ended and the opening notes of the last song played. I got to the guard, she let me in and I pushed my way down the rows, trying to find my seat. I looked up. Liam was standing on the stage, just feet away from where I was. I pushed a girl, reached out my hand and yelled, "LIAM!" I saw him look up. I waved my hands, still pushing. By the time I finally got to place he had been standing, he was gone. The song was over and the boys were jumping down though holes in the stage and disappearing. My heart was in my throat and I wanted to cry. I missed it.

Beth: I'm here. I just missed you!

Liam: Ya. Missed it.

Beth: I'm sorry.

Liam: Do you know what I had to do to get that ticket?

Beth: I'm sorry.

Liam: Ya, me, too.

I sat in my seat, waiting for the crowd to leave. I stared at my phone, hoping for another text. It didn't come.

Beth: I am sorry, Liam. I tried.

He still didn't answer. I knew our bus was leaving at midnight. I needed to be on it, or I'd be left behind. It was eleven. Looking around, I pulled a chair over and hopped over the wall. I climbed on the stage and headed backstage. Liam's dressing room was the one farthest away from the stage, of course. He liked it that way. He claimed it was quieter. I started moving down the hall when I was stopped. Paddy held out one hand. "You girls are NOT allowed to fraternize with members of the band. You need to go back where you came from."

"Funny, Paddy. It's me." I said.

"I know, Beth. I'm just following orders." he said.

"Liam doesn't want me? He doesn't want to see...."

The look on Paddy's face told me everything I needed to know. Liam was so angry, he didn't even want me around. I felt my shoulders drop as I turned to walk away. Liam didn't want me. I could feel my heart break and the tears start to fall. We couldn't seem to get this right. Maybe it wasn't meant to be.

I rode on the bus with my own band. Max was excited because she had finally written a love song she was happy with. It was called Prisoner. Plus, she had convinced Benny to let us shoot the cover for our album in Philly, at an old prison, Eastern State Penitentiary. It was a tourist attraction that we had seen last time we went through Pennsylvania. I hadn't seen Max so excited for something like this in a long time. I was glad when she was like this. It made my life so much easier. I only had to worry about myself. I could hide in my own bunk and feel sorry for myself, clutching my phone, hoping for a text or call that never came.

 I could hide in my own bunk and feel sorry for myself, clutching my phone, hoping for a text or call that never came