Chapter 5

Friday started off like any other day, I kissed Ivy goodbye at the door as she left for work. Then dressed Hope and drove her to school, since I still had some days off work left I was just doing some work around the house. Laundry, the dishes, nothing extraordinary. I was ironing the clothes when the doorbell rung, I placed the iron onto the board and walked to the door. 

When I pulled it open I almost collapsed. In front of me stood a man holding a large bouquet of Tiger lilies. He huffed and struggled with them in his arms, "Miss Harleen Quinn?" he asked looking me up and down. I managed to nod my head and he pushed the flowers into my hands, I almost dropped them onto the ground. He gave me a note to sign and then left smiling. I shut the door and stared at the flowers in my arms. 

"This can not be happening right now" I said shaking my head, I could feel my mind racing to different things. My legs felt heavy and I had to sit down before I collapsed, something caught my attention from the bottom of the bouquet and I tugged on the small white note. With shaky fingers I opened the note and brought my hand up to my mouth as my eyes scanned over the words. 

Joke was on me, but now the jokes on you. 

I dropped the note and tears spilled down my face. "No, no, no!" I yelled in frustration, I knew this would happen. I knew deep down I couldn't escape him, I couldn't escape the horror of him. He would always find a way to ruin me, to ruin my happiness. My mind wandered off to Ivy and Hope, he must know about them too. Oh God he's going to hurt them, he's going to take away the two things I live for. He wants me. I know he does. I need to do something before he goes after what is mine. 

I wiped my tears and grabbed the note along with the flowers. I put on my shoes and ran out to the car, I drove to where the lake was and got out. I found a lighter in my car and took the flowers to the edge of the river. Holding them downwards I lit the petals and watched them be swallowed by the flames. When the fire climbed up to my hands I dropped the flowers and then lit the note. I made sure there were no traces of it. I erased it from existence but not from my mind. 

I then took out my phone and dialled the one person I could count on right now. He answered almost instantly. 

"He's alive"

"Fuck I knew it was him"

"What do you mean Bruce?"

"One of my Knights saw him in The Dungeon, he was speaking to someone, fuck how did he find you?"

"I don't know, he sent me flowers from Ivy's shop, look Bruce, he can't get near them. He wants me and I need to do whatever I can to protect them."

"Harley don't be stupid, let me take care of it."

"If this was your family, you'd do the same Bruce"

"What are you going to do Harley?"

I grew silent for a while, squeezing the phone in my hand. The tears in my eyes became ice cold, almost frozen. I already knew what I was going to do, I knew it all along. 

"I'm going back to Gotham"...

***

A/N- I hope you're liking the second book so far, I'm not sure if it meets your standards but I'm trying my best. College is coming up for me so in advance I apologise for late updates, I will try my hardest to post asap. Thank you for all the reads, votes and comments so far. Keep it going, love Dazz.