Practice

"Lisa get your butt in here", Denise screams.

I walked into her room slowly.

Oh my gosh, what did I do?

"Don't worry fat cat. I didn't call you here to kill you. I just wanted to ask you something."

"Okay..."

"Did Prince say anything to you about New York?"

Prince left in the early hours of the morning to go do a few shows in New York. He'll be gone for a few days.

"No not really why?"

Looking into her eyes she looked completely helpless and vulnerable.

"I ... He made up some dumb excuse when I asked him if I could come. I'm worried he's hiding something from me."

"I'm sure it's nothing Denise. He loves you."

"How did you know that?"

"He told me. He's an artist. He's out doing his job. It shouldn't be weird he decides not to bring you. You might be a distraction."

"You're probably right. It's just that... women are always around him. I'm just worried while he's in New York he might--- you know..."

I couldn't believe she was telling me all this. Why would she confine in me?

Denise never talked about her boyfriend troubles in the past.

She must really care about him.

"I get it. Do you trust him?"

"To be honest ... No", she responds. "When he drinks he just..."

Tell me about it.

"Anyways, you shouldn't be hearing all this. You're too young. How's Jackson? He's really cute. You better keep an eye on him. Women are vultures."

"I told him I wasn't interested."

"What? How? He's so cute."

"Yeah but his personality isn't."

"Who cares? Just practice on him. You don't need to get serious."

"Practice?"

"Yeah. You should get practice so when you find the right guy you'll know what to do", she says as she winks at me.