Chapter four

That guy was so creepy...!
Avalon shuddered as she stood in the lunch line, hoping to get her lunch as soon as possible so she could take cover and rant to her friends. Honestly, nothing this weird had ever happened before, it was kind of freaking her out...
There were of course the occasional guys that would like her insanely, same as any other average girl, but none that's made such an intense move towards her like that. His eyes had left such an impression in Avalon's mind... This "Rune" character.
They were practically glowing when he looked at her... She found it hard to look away. Not that she let him get that impression, of course.
He was awfully aggressive... Avalon felt sure he'd be showing himself to her again, and soon. She hated that idea.
After paying the lunch lady, Avalon exhaled and peered out across the room to find her friends, who were taking up residence at the table farthest across the roomー the one right by the window. Smiling a little in relief at seeing them, Avalon made her way across the cafeteria and sat beside Amber, across from Rae and Timber.
"Hey heyyy," Rae greeted, stabbing a grape with her fork.
Amber chimed in, propping her head up on her elbow as she turned to eye down Avalon. "Sup, chica? How was Pre-cal? I heard there was a test in there."
Avalon shuddered visibly. "You guys have no idea."
At this, of course, the three prompted and poked at her to explain herself, which naturally, she did.
"Rae, you know that creepy guy that attacked you earlier?"
Rae set down her fork, looking at her with widened eyes. "Rune, the exchange student??"

"Ew, he's an exchange student?? Where's he from?"

"Someplace in Europe I think??"

"Grー"

Amber elbowed Avalon out of her tangent with an annoyed look. "Get on with the story."
Avalon glared and stuck out her tongue at her friend, but still went back to her story.

"He was staring at me all day. Like, it was freaking creepy."

Timber looked somewhat irritated by this declaration, but didn't say anything just yet as Avalon went on.

"So, obviously, I freaking said something to the guy."

Rae and Amber broke into opposite reactions, Amber snickering in amusement and Rae looking appalledー the usual blend she got from the two.
"Ava," Rae gasped. "You can't just say something! You could hurt his feelings!"
Amber snorted.
"Screw that, did he get embarrassed?"
Avalon rolled her eyes at the polar opposites.
"Feelings and whatnot aside, my confronting him didn't turn him away at all!"
Timber narrowed his eyes a little.
"He didn't do anything to you, did he?"
Avalon waved him off.
"Course not, you know I don't take that crap. But he got... Weird."
Her friends leaned forward interestedly. "Weird...how..?"

"Well, first of all, heー"

Avalon felt the words catch in her throat as she met a familiar maroon gaze staring her down, and she felt like her heart had just stopped.
No.
No.
Her friends, confused, turned to follow her gaze and each gradually took on the same expression as her.

Rune grinned a little to himself, glad he could bring such an expression to her face. His eyes never leaving hers, he crossed the cafeteria, heading straight for them. Avalon about had a heart attack, looking to her friends for help, but of course, none of them knew what to do either. Defenseless, Avalon did nothing as Rune casually sat beside Rae, directly in front of her.
Composing herself, Avalon brought out her tough exterior.
"Can I help you?"
Rune tried not to grin too much as he responded. "I thought I told you I wanted to sit with you?"
Avalon growled. "What the heck, why? It's weird...!"
Rune raised his arm to rest his elbow on the table, holding his head in his hand as he gazed at her intently. "I was curious."
Avalon didn't know what to say, glaring him down as essentially everyone at the table stared at him.
After a moment of painful silence, Rune turned to eye Timber, who was giving him the stink eye. He grinned at this, seeing that indeed, this boy liked Avalon. He was curious about their relationship....
He wasn't willing to let his first potential mate fall into the arms of another, that's for sure.
Avalon, unable to take anymore, stood and glared down at Rune.
"You. Me. Outside. Now."