Chapter 40: The Wedding....Eek!

The past two weeks of my life have been so emotional, you'd think I was pregnant. I've never been so sensitive in my whole eighteen years. I forget to do something, Sulpicia shouts at me, I yell back, I cuddle into Marcus.
I forget to do something
Sulpicia shouts at me. I yell back...
I cuddle into Marcus.

Literally on and on. I think I might even have cried the other day. I honestly can't wait for my hormones to get back to normal. It's like being on your period. Mood swings and the awful, mortifying ability to randomly cry at the push of a button; which is so not like me. "So, today's the day." Caius peers in the mirror, straightening his bow tie. He looks at me through the reflection. "Are you alright? Nervous?" He starts combing his hair.
"I'm great. But yeah, nervous." I nod.

The wedding's in an hour and due to some miracle, everything is more or less in place. I'm sitting on my bed already dressed in my suit. With me having such a masculine proportional body, wearing a dress obviously wouldn't look right. The one thing we did do traditionally was since I'm the bride, I made sure I'd be wearing a white suit to make up for the lack of a dress. Because apparently the bride wears white. I wouldn't know. I've never been to a wedding.

Ironic. The first wedding I'll ever go to is my own. So help me God. "Do I really have to walk down the aisle?" I moan. "I don't want people staring at me."
"Of course!" He cries. "You're the bride, it's your moment of triumph. And I'll be there to walk you down." He promises. "Come here, let's fix your hair." He beckons me over. I sigh and drag myself over to my desk.

He pats the stool between his legs, gesturing me to sit down. I lean back against him while he combs my hair for a second time, applying bits of gel here and there, sticking up the huge quiff I have going on. Another minute or so and he's finished. Seriously, vampires work so much quicker. I inspect my hair in the mirror to see he's done it up a mixture of smart/casual.

"It looks great Dad." Satisfied with my response, he leans forward, wrapping his arms around me from behind, his chin on the top of my head. "Yes it does." He agrees. "You look so handsome, my girl." He whispers. I twist in my seat to face him. "You know, the guards tell me you're always horrible to them. That you're cruel and you're never happy. Why haven't I seen that side of you?" I ask.

He smiles at me simply. "Because you're family." He says. "Now, come on! You've got a wedding to go to."

******************************

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we are gathered here today to celebrate the marriage of Marcus Volturi and Lee Corvin." The vicar smiles at both of us. Marcus turns to me as we repeat the traditional wedding vows. Afterwards, I peer around wondering where our rings are, but Marcus raises his hand and pulls me close.

He looks deep into my eyes. "Lee, before I met you, I was still grieving for my wife, Didyme. And I always will, but you helped me ease the burden. Without you, we wouldn't have found her killer. We can finally let her rest in peace. And I'm so glad I've kept my promise to Didyme and found love again. You've brightened the future, and you've saved me. You're the person who's finally brought me back from the darkness."

A chorus of ahhs and awws come from our guests and I'm equally as emotional. After that speech, I don't know what to say, but it's obvious I have to return something. People are looking at me expectantly. Surely they're waiting for my response. I clear my throat awkwardly.

"Uh, well, Marcus, I'm sure you know I'm not great with words but what I can say is I think you've changed me for the better. I will admit I'm still an idiot-" I'm cut off by sniggers from our guests and Marcus's lips lift in a small smile.
"But," I continue. "I'd like to think you've made me feel more comfortable with my life and I'm friendlier with others. You make me smile, and that's not something I used to do."

"So to bring this to an end, I can confidently say, you've made me a better person, but unfortuantely, you can't change my sense of fashion, so sorry Mum, sorry Sulpicia." More laughs come from our guests and a small round of applause. The vicar smiles at us and closes his ceremony book. We quickly exchange rings. "So, with those thoughts considered, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may now kiss."

Marcus takes me into his arms, my chest pressed against his, then tilts my chin. I close my eyes just as his lips meet mine, then the applause starts. The kiss lasts another second and we gently break away to give each other a hug. He spins me around joyfully, almost knocking over the vicar in the process.

He sets me back down on my feet and we turn to see Athenadora making her way over to us. "Congrats!" She shouts, flinging herself at me, smothering me with kisses. Caius is a bit more reserved much to my relief, and lightly kisses my forehead before shaking Marcus's hand. Liam hugs me, and I take a good look at his appearance.

He's wearing a smart navy suit with his hair unusually done up nicely. Mum must have pressured him into it. Of course, he's wearing his eyeliner and his black nail polish, but they make him look hot as hell.

"Hey," I lean into him. "You look hot today. Try and pick up a girl." I encourage and he grins. "I've got my eye on Heidi but I'm not sure she's interested." He shrugs. "Well, take it easy. I'm sure you'll find someone. But they've got to have my approval first." I warn.

"Will do," He nods. We part as a group of girls approach him and he walks off with a thumbs up. I respond and head over to Sulpicia, and....ugh...Aro. "It's a wonderful day for a wedding." She smiles. "I'm so happy for the two of you." She gushes. Marcus appears at my side.
"Thank you." He replies. "I do wonder though," Aro pipes up. "How on earth did you thaw that cold heart of hers, Marcus?" He asks.

Instantly, I start my uncontrolable growling, aimed at Aro while he seems oblivious as Marcus just smiles in response at Aro, as if it's just a small joke. Cold heart? Well he can fuck off.
I keep snarling in his direction for most of the night until Marcus lightly tugs on my arm.
"Easy tiger." He warns.
"That bastard can go to hell." I hiss. "Aro is my brother. But, either way, don't let a small comment ruin your mood, darling." He advises.

"I'll try," For the rest of the evening, I speak to more people and recieve more attention than I have in a lifetime. Everyone congratulates us and we recieve a good amount of gifts. I spend the rest of the evening dancing, eating and speaking to guests, with more or less, Marcus at my side.
The one thing that's unusual though, with everything going on, I didn't even realise Demetri's abscence until at least six o'clock in the evening.

I jump up frantically, undo my chair seatbelt and face Marcus. "Darling, what's wrong?" He puts down his book, face creased with concern. We're now on the plane on our way to our honeymoon, wherever that may be.
"Demetri," I stammer. I look him in the eyes. "Demetri wasn't at the wedding."