Chapter 33: Visiting Didyme

Marcus is ecstatic. He throws himself at me, pulls me into his arms and whirls me around. I squeal and protest but hook my arms around his neck. He gently lowers me to the ground and he's smiling. Smiling all over his face, and God, he's beautiful. I still can't figure out what it is about him, but he is so attractive. He just doesn't realise it.

"Why are you staring at me?" He asks, bringing me back into focus. "Sorry," I mumble, staring at my feet. "It's fine. I'm very happy, Lee. I hope you realise how happy you make me. Come, we're going to the cemetery." He holds out his arm. "Cemetery?" I repeat. He gives me a look as if I'm dumb. "Yes. A place where they bury dead people." He speaks slowly, as if he's talking to a five year old.

"I know that," I snap. "But why?" I ask. "To visit Didyme." He does up his waistcoat. "Oh, right. Wait, she has a grave?" I ask. "Yes, Lee. Most dead people do." He smirks softly. "I though if a vampire was killed, then...-"
"We were lucky. We managed to....keep the pieces and bury her." He loks queasy at the thought. "Poor thing." I sigh. "I'm so glad he's dead. Vladimir, I mean. I'm glad you killed him." I sigh. He hands me a jacket.

"Marcus," I look down at myself. "I'm still in my pyjamas." I groan. "It's barely ten past six. There'll be no one around." He soothes. "Put some shoes on." Once I'm ready to go, we head to the garage and bring out the black Porsche. "It's not too far from the castle." He explains. "But I didn't think you'd want to walk through the cold in your pyjamas." He smiles.

"Thanks for being so thoughtful." I snark. Once we arrive, I go quiet. I hardly want to disturb their moment together. What am I supposed to do? Stand there and look cute? I follow him closely, feeling like an intruder. "There," He points at the grave.

Didyme Volturi
Beloved Wife Of Marcus
Sister of Aro
Rest In Peace

"We couldn't risk putting her birth and death dates on the stone. She lived for more than two hundred years. People would become suspicious." He explains. "Say something," He coaxes. "I just feel so awful for you. It must have been so hard on you." I kneel lightly on the grass, leaning towards the stone. I run my hand over it gently.
Marcus kneels beside me and starts talking to her. "We eventually found your killer, Didyme. Killing him felt like I'd finally brought you peace. You can rest now. I hope you don't mind me bringing someone along today. Lee is someone very special to me. She makes me happy, but she'll never replace you. I like to thing of you as friends, equals. You know you'll always be my first love, you'll always have a big piece of my heart, forever. That'll never change. I love you."

His words send shivers up and down my spine. Hearing him talk to her makes me love him even more. To hear him speak to her as if she were standing right in front of him. He'll always love her and that's something I'll accept, because hey, she was his wife. I just hope I can be a good wife too, to make Didyme proud I guess.

He stands again and takes a deep breath. "Ok, I think I'm alright." He sighs. "Are you sure? We can stay for a bit longer if you'd like?" I suggest and he smiles at me. "I'm fine," He hooks his arm through mine. I turn to look back at the grave and notice he's laid some flowers down. "Lilies were her favourite. And so are mine." He explains.

"I wish I could have met her." I sigh as we head back to the car.
"So do I." He murmurs. "So do I." He repeats sadly. "Come on, lighten up. We're getting married, remember?" He lightly tweaks my nose. I swat him off playfully. "Stop now. I don't think the gardener would be too happy with the two of us having a playfight right here." He smiles and we jump in the car.

"Ah shush, he'd love it." I tease.  "Would he now?" Marcus smirks at me. "I can't believe I just visited your wife in pyjamas!" I clutch my head in my hands. "Oh well, she probably already thought you were a tramp so it doesn't matter." He smiles and yells slightly as I hit him in protest.

"You're awful to me. Why do I love you?" He says to himself. "You think you're such a cute actor." I snark. "Aren't I 'cute'?" He asks.
I take my eyes off the road to look at him. "Very," I compliment. "You don't realise it but you're really attractive. I can't explain it, you're just weirdly handsome." I try to summarise. "You're awful at describing things." He mutters smiling. I reach across and kiss his cheek just as we pull up inside the garage.

"Come inside, are you sure you're not tired? We can go back to bed if you'd like?" He whispers in my ear. My insides do a front flip and I feel a huge warmth run through me. "Yeah, I could do with the extra sleep. Especially after that terrible nightmare." I shudder. "Come with me," He whispers. "Ok." I give into him and fall into his arms. He lifts me gently, and carries me through the building into his room.

He lowers me down and removes his waistcoat. "What about the condoms?" I remind him. "Will we ever get round to making love together?" I ask. He looks at me and smiles. "I have them safe. Don't forget, we are getting married and I'd like to wait until our wedding night." He smiles at the thought.

"How traditional." I snark. "Into bed." He points. "I'll be there in a minute." He promises. "Marcus?" I call. "Yes?"
"Will I make a good wife? Do you really want to be married to someone like me? Surely that's a huge downgrade from Didyme?"

He comes into his bedroom and lays beside me. I rest my head on his stomach while he plays with my hair. "You already make a good partner. Didyme will always be my wife and so will you." He replies. "Marcus, what would you do if I died, if you went through the same thing as you did with Didyme?" I ask, I have to know.

"If you died, I'd die too. It's a rule. And if it hadn't been for Caius telling me I'd find love again, I would have killed myself. You brought me out of that dark depression. You saved me, Lee, and I saved you."