Chapter 35: I'm Sorry, But Liam's Always Available

"Demetri, no, please!" I clutch my head in my hands, knowing it's already a lost cause. "Don't try to deny it, Lee Corvin." He whimpers. "Look, it's not like that, honest." I protest, and I push past Aro to face Demetri. "Oh really? Then what's this?" He pushes the wedding ring box into my hand.
My heart rips from my chest in sympathy for him.

"I found this in your room, and hoped it wasn't real but then I overheard Master Aro." He sulks, looking upset. "I thought maybe you liked me. I thought I had a chance." He sits on the floor, utterly crestfallen. "Please Demetri, come on." I pull him up off the floor and take him to the garden with me.

"Please, stop it now." I rub his back to soothe him. He lays his head on my shoulder, whimpering softly. "I.....I thought maybe you loved me." He groans. "I..maybe I do. But I know I want Marcus more." I stroke his hair and run my fingers through it. He lifts his head and kisses me. I grip him and hold him to me, pulling him against me by his collar. He grips my head and pushes his tongue in my mouth. I shake my head and reluctantly push him away. 

"I'm sorry Demetri, I can't. I love Marcus." I hate to let him down, but I can't betray Marcus again. "I'm sorry too, but I..I thought if I kissed you, it would change how you felt." He sighs. "It's ok. I like you Demetri. I really do. But me and Marcus are in love." I pull him to lay in my lap. "You'll find someone. Someone who loves you and takes you for who you are." I promise.

"Liam is always available." I say. "Hmm, well I don't want Liam, I want you." He says. I sigh in frustration. "It's difficult for you, I can tell." I stroke his head again. "I want you Lee Corvin. It's so painful." He clutches at his chest as if his heart is broken. "What can I do?" I ask, tears welling up. "You can throw your ring away and marry me instead." He sobs.

"I'd rather you were dead than married to him." He groans. "Marcus is a decent guy." I protest. He looks at me with wild eyes. "Do you know how many people he's killed?" He cries out. "He's a vampire, he has to survive." I turn away from him. "Marcus is my fiancé. I will love him till the end, there's not much you can do about it." I sigh and Demetri closes his eyes in defeat.

"Ok," He says softly. "I love you Lee. Goodbye." He stands up and leaves. I decide to give Marcus another quick visit. No doubt we'll have to do some planning with this wedding. I head down the corridors, scouring each room for him, hoping I'll find him somewhere. Anywhere. Like, where could he be?

On the way to Marcus's actual room, I bump into Heidi. "Oh, hello again!" She smiles. "I heard about the proposal. Congratulations." She looks genuinely happy. "I've always been a friend to Marcus. I'm so glad he'll finally be happy again." She says. "That's great," I mumble. "Are you looking for him now?" She opens the music room door and there sits Marcus at his piano. Of course.

Marcus looks up and smiles at the two of us. "Hello Heidi, Lee." He comes to the doorway. "Good morning," Heidi kisses his cheek. "I think Lee wanted to speak with you, sweetheart." She announces. I stiffen at the 'sweetheart' part but I guess they've been friends for a while. "Really?" He lifts and eyebrow looking at my distraught face.

"Come in, Lee." He motions for me to step in. "Good day Heidi." He kisses her in return and she leaves. I sit on his piano stool. Marcus closes the door and looks me over before giving a deep sigh. "Is it Demetri?" He asks, coming closer and stroking my face. I give a weary nod. "He's really upset." I moan. He nods. "Caius told me about his outburst in Liam's room." He sighs. "Perhaps he'll get over it in time." He tries lifting the mood.

I shake my head. "He was crying, Marcus. I've really hurt his feelings." I put my head on his shoulder. "Wounds heal." He sighs. "He'll relax over time. He'll find someone of his own." He promises. "Yeah but he doesn't want to acknowledge that." I huff, my head on my knees. "We'll help him. It will be alright." He soothes, but I swat him away.

"We have to sort something. He told me he'd rather me be dead than married to you." I explain. "It's just anger, sweetheart. It will wear off over time." He strokes my head. The door flies open and Athenadora comes in, eyes frantic. "Athenadora, what's wrong?" Marcus stands quickly. "You have to see this." She says.

Demetri's room is in a state of chaos. Nothing is in it's right place. His chest of drawers have been emptied and clothes are scattered about on the floor. The walls have faded squares where photographs have once been held. There are no suitcases or rucksacks around. Sulpicia is also in his room.

"He must have left." She announces. "No. He can't leave. It's my fault." I sink to my knees defeated.
"There now, sweetheart." Marcus strokes my head. "It's alright."

"No, I..we have to find him. He might do something." I stammer. "Like what? Kill something?" Marcus suggests. "Yes! He's a vampire, he could do anything." I shake my head, wiping tears. "Don't get too upset." He advises. "Calm down, darling." He tries again.

Heidi rushes in, looking worried. "He's left. No one's seen him." She announces shakily. "It's still daylight out. He'll stand out to people. He wouldn't risk our existence." Marcus tries. "He's gone somewhere." Heidi sighs. "He must have caught a train." Sulpicia speaks up. "Well either way, he's gone." Heidi groans.

"Can't we find him?" I pipe up desperately. "I doubt it." Marcus sighs. "Demetri was our only tracker." He says. "There's no chance of finding him. He's gone."

The floor gives way and I feel myself falling. The ground swallows me whole and my vision turns black. "Lee!" Marcus's voice is only a whisper as I fall deeper into nothing but a black hole. And all I can think of is that Demetri is gone and I can never have him back.