Chapter 11: In the Studio with..

Tori p.o.v.

Today I had to go into the studio a little earlier to get things set up for a very important guest. Gavin Degraw was coming to the studio today to record. I have a little secret that no one knows about. Since the day I knew i wanted to be a singer, I also vowed to myself that i would someday work with Gavin Degraw. I'm so excited that day is finally coming.

I pulled up to the studio. When I walked in, Mark was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. "Mark what the hell is wrong with you?" he looked at me like i was absolutely crazy. "Um did you not hear? Gavin Degraw is coming to record here today." I nodded my head and tried not to laugh at Mark. "Ya i heard." I continued to walk into the studio to make sure everything was in its place. While I was checking all the systems for the last time, I heard Billy (gavins manager) talking to Mark. I walked out of the studio with a smile on my face. "Billy, in here!" i said, he saw me and looked relieved. Him and Gavin walked in and i shut the door before Mark could walk in. "Sorry about that. Mark can be a little weird when we have celebrities work here. We don't get too much of them." i giggled a little after I said that and so did Billy and Gavin. "So Tori, you obviously know Gavin, but have you guys ever met?" We both shook our heads. We shook hands and sat down. "Ok so what are we going to be working on today?" Gavin got up and took his guitar out of the case. "What i want to do is do an album with some of my most popular songs from all the albums, put some remixes on some and also add a couple new ones." He sat back down with his guitar. "Ok, cool. Are their specific people you want to work with as far as recording or do you want to do them yourself?" He took the pick out of his mouth and said, "Well i was hoping you could do something. Remix some but also feature on one." I was complete shocked. Gavin Degraw just asked ME to record a song with him. I haven't recording a song let alone been in a booth since California. "I mean I'm completely flattered bu-" "Please Tori. I'm a fan of your music. I know you haven't recorded in a while but maybe this feature can get you back into it." I had so much to think about. What if I did this? Would people want me to record an album? Where would I find the time, with Drew and working here at the studio. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. "Ok, Before I give you a hundred percent yes, can I go make a phone call?" They both nodded their head. I ran outside to call Justin.

"Hey Tor, what's up?" I hesitated a little. "um well Gavin Degraw is here recording and he wants me to record a feature for him. Should I do it?" It was dead silent on the phone. "Justin?" "Are you kidding Tor! Of course you should do it! Thats incredible. Hell its about time you record something. I've been waiting for this day since you left California." i giggled. "Ok but what about Drew? What if this feature turns into an album-" "Then that would be awesome." I sighed. "I know but I just don't want Drew around that life yet. He's so young, I just don't want to corrupt him you know?" "I know what you mean Tor, but sometimes you have to do things to make yourself happy. Drew might even like touring with you, any kid would. Say yes to the feature because its Gavin frickin' Degraw and if you don't want to record an album then you don't have to." i nodded my head even though he couldn't see me. "Ok, i'll do it. Thanks J." "No Problem, love. Just don't forget about me when you become famous... again." he chuckled. "never." we hung up and i walked back inside.

"Ok, I'll do it." I said walking back into the studio. Billy and Gavin both cheered and clapped. i giggled but felt nervous. I'm just now realizing that i'm going to be recording with one of the musicians that made me believe in myself and music. "Ok so the song that i've been writing is called We Both know. I have the first verse and chorus, so i need the bridges and the other verses." i nodded my head. "Ok let me hear what you have so far." Gavin grabs his guitar and sits down across from me. "They all say it, All the ones that made it, Once you find the one you claim it, But your gonna have to fight. the next part you do. same key as me." i nodded, "When i think back, The things that threw us off track, We handled like a heart attack, Cause we didn't see the light." "Ok, next part we both do." At the same time we start singing, "Oh, Yeah, Now, We both, Know Our, Own Limitations, Thats why were strong, Now that we spent some time apart, We're leading each other, Out of the dark, Cause we both know." We smiled at each other and began writing the rest of the song.

Once we were done, we packed everything up and left. "Hey Tori, same time tomorrow? sound good?" Gavin said as he walked by to his car. "Ya, of course!" i smiled the biggest grin and got in my car. I drove home, stopping to get pizza. "Guys, I'm home." I didn't hear the slightest noise. "uh, I got pizza." All of a sudden, they came running around the corner from the living room. I laughed as justin grabbed the pizza and they both went back to the living room. "Hey Drew, what about a kiss for mama?" he turned around and ran back toward me, "oh, sorry mama." he kissed my cheek and ran back to the living room. I went to the kitchen to get plates and drinks. I set the stuff down on the table and sat in between.