"Son, you know you shouldn't speak like that out loud. If you're overheard, your father would punish you severely," Addisu said in a hushed voice. She glanced about like a palace guard might spring out of a corner at any moment.

"I would still die anyway," he mumbled and looked away.

Just then, there was a sharp knock at the door.

Addisu's hand flew to her mouth at the same time her heart slammed against her chest. Had they heard Re'hotpe's words? How much did they hear?

"Queen Addisu, we have a message from the noble pharaoh," a voice said from the other side.

She remained still.

"Queen Addisu?" The knock became sharper.

Snapping out of her frightened state, Addisu rushed to the door and opened it by an inch. Two palace guards stood with stern expressions on their faces.

"The king has ordered us to escort all first sons to his second chamber at the north wing. We were told Prince Re'hotpe is with you."

"Oh, he is here, but..." Addisu stepped out of her chambers and shut the door behind her.

"Is there a problem?" one of the guards asked, staring above her head. They were not allowed to look into the eye of royalty.

"Don't worry about Prince Re'hotpe, I'll take him there myself." Addisu hoped she sounded firm enough.
The guards shifted on their feet but refused to leave.

"We are to do as Pharaoh ordered," one of the guards managed to reply.

"But I want to perform a little rite with him," Addisu lied before quickly adding, "I want extra protection for my boy. I don't think you want to interrupt that, do you?" Now her voice was stronger and more authoritative. When the guards nodded, she sighed within herself.

"Apologies for questioning you, Queen Addisu. You are to have the prince at the chamber before midnight."

Addisu nodded then watched them walk to the next chamber. Rushing back inside, she shut the door and leaned against it like a log.

"What is the matter? What did they want?" Re'hotpe asked, drawing closer.

"An idea just occurred to me. You said Japheth gave you directions, right?" Addisu asked as she rummaged through the cloth in her waxed raffia baskets. Her heart raced and a cold sweat broke across her forehead as her mind worked quickly.

Cloak, cloak! Where is it?!

"Yes I did," Re'hotpe answered.
When Addisu found what she was looking for, she nearly wept for joy. Grabbing the dark material, she flung it over Re'hotpe's frame. 

He frowned as he held the material around his shoulders. "What are you doing, mother?"

Addisu snatched a piece of cloth, walked to the window and retrieved a bowl of water mixed with coconut oil. Rushing back to Re'hotpe's side, she dipped the cloth in the bowl and began cleaning the kohl off his eyes.

"You would have to go meet Japheth in Goshen." She avoided his eyes as she ministered to his face.

Re'hotpe began to shake his head. "No mama, no. I don't want to leave you."

She was extremely proud of Re'hotpe, he never spoke too much, but he was wise for his age. That was a rare quality among the sons of the king.

She held his face in her palms. How her heart broke just by looking at him. "Be strong for me and do as I say."

Addisu carefully removed his hoop earring and gold armband. She picked up a satchel and shoved the adornment inside. "I don't want you to die. If there is a little hope of you surviving I rather take it. You would go because I know Moses' words would come to pass. Of what use are you to me dead?"

Re'hotpe continued shaking his head as tears ran down his cheeks. Addisu wiped them away. Her smile was shaky and small. She placed the satchel across his shoulder before rushing to the tiny wooden shelf above her silver mirror. When she retrieved her small knife, she went back to his side.

"When you meet Michal, tell her I sent you. Tell her I'm entrusting you in her care as I did in the first ten years of your life."

Weeping silently, she wrapped her arms around Re'hotpe's lean frame and hugged him. When she felt him tremble slightly, she knew he was crying too.

Addisu straightened and wiped her tears. "Come on, let's go," she said before holding his hand.

Because she was still dressed in her black garment, she didn't bother using a cloak. Placing her black veil over her face, she grabbed a tiny container that sat on a shelf close to the door before stepping out.

The corridor was lit with lamps, but it was empty and eerily quiet. Dragging a reluctant Re'hotpe along, she made her way to the back of the palace with her heart beating in her throat.

"Quick, through this door."

Addisu led her son through the door of the stable that held the horses of the pharaoh's wives. Since it wasn't a stable for the warhorses, no guard was present. Grasping the reins of her black stallion, she led it outside the stable and looked around.

She frowned. No one was in sight. Everything was going too smoothly as if an unseen force was making it all work in their favour; either that or they were about to get caught. Not wanting to waste a second, she turned to her son and bent to his height.

"Take this horse and keep riding till you reach the land of Goshen. Do not stop for anyone. How much of that direction can you remember?" Addisu asked, still looking around.

"I remember it all." 

"Good, good. When you get there, don't forget to tell Michal what I told you. Cut your hair with this--" she handed him the small blade "--and wear what they give you. Try to blend in, but never forget you are a descendant of the royal line of Ethiopia and Egypt. If you survive, accept their ways and their god. I love you, my son."

Addisu kissed Re'hotpe on the forehead and blessed him under her breath. She couldn't help feeling this would be the last time she'd see him.

Re'hotpe expertly mounted the horse and looked down at her.

"Go slowly until you reach the gate of the palace. When you get there, ride as fast as you can and don't look back. If they try to stop you, pour this in their direction."

She handed him a small copper container containing black pepper. When they suffered the plague of frogs, the pepper had come in handy in chasing the pests away. She was so grateful she still had the thing around.

"Do not follow a straight path, go through the thickets by the Nile. The stench would keep your scent off the hounds. May the unseen god be with you and protect you."

Re'hotpe remained silent save for a few sniffles. The cloak hid his face from view so she couldn't make out his expression.

Addisu nodded before patting the horse on the rump. The animal neighed and trotted away.

As she stood there, staring after Re'hotpe's retreating form, her heart sank at the thought of what awaited her at the hand of Pharaoh Thutmose.

"Now here comes my death," Addisu mumbled and turned away.

____________________________________

I hunted for photos to use as Re'hotpe but nothing fit what I wanted, smh.
Had to go with an image of an Egyptian palace. *sigh*

Anyhoo, votes and comments would be appreciated. 😊
Thanks y'all.