Chapter Five

Re'hotpe lifted a hand to touch Addisu's tear-streaked face.

"Why are you crying, mama?"

"It's mother, not mama. You're no longer a little prince," Addisu said with a wobbly smile.

She had called Re'hotpe to her chambers after her prayer with Hatshepsut. The prayers had felt useless, doing nothing to subdue the sorrow that pierced her heart or the fear that churned in her belly.

Her son was seated on the floor with his white kilt bunched around his crossed leg. When he looked at her, Addisu saw concern. She had promised herself not to tell him Moses' latest threat. There was no need to trouble the boy further than he already was.

"Okay, mother. Why do you look so sad? Is it father?" Re'hotpe tilted his head, causing his side ponytail to sway.

"It's not your father... it is way bigger than him."

Addisu's lips trembled as she took in her son's features. He was so young. His fair skin gleamed in the light of the oil lamps, and his dark kohl-enhanced eyes were wide and innocent.

My perfect Re'hotpe.

What if she runs away with him? Would Moses' declaration still affect them? She shook her head at the thought; it was too foolish.

"All isn't well. Tell me what troubles you. I may be able to help," Re'hotpe said with an air of seriousness.

Addisu chuckled at his words. What could a twelve-year-old do to ease the hurt or banish her fears? Nothing. If anything, his presence both soothed and punished her fretting mind.

"Come hold mama," Addisu said with arms outstretched.

Re'hotpe stood and walked into her arms. "But you said I shouldn't call you mama."

"The rule doesn't apply to me."

Addisu didn't want to let go. As she hugged him, she took in his scent. Her terror was constricting her heart; the pain was too much. Shutting her eyes tight, she tried to fight the fresh tears that pushed at her lids.

"Mother, you're crushing me."

"Oh." She pushed Re'hotpe away with both hands resting on his shoulder.

"I heard Moses said all first sons would die. Is that why you are crying?"

Addisu gasped and stood quickly. "Who told you that?" she asked.

Re'hotpe didn't look troubled by the knowledge. There was a sad smile on his lips as he looked up at her.

"Japheth told me. His mother helped look after me, remember? He secretly visits me once in a while."

Addisu placed a shaky hand on her chest as she struggled to breathe. If he knew he was going to die, why wasn't he panicking? Does he not understand the concept of death?

"Don't worry, mother. I do not feel bad. Japheth snuck into my room this evening and asked me to come with him to Goshen, he said that's the only way I'll be safe. When I told him I don't want to leave you, he still went ahead to give me directions on how to find his house."

Addisu sat on her wooden bed. What was her son saying? Was there a possibility of saving him?

"They are suffering, mother. Have you seen the scars on Japheth's back? They're too terrible to look at. I don't feel sorry for us. Hundreds of Israelites die every day at the sites. If their god chose to offer us the kindness we offered them, I wouldn't blame him," Re'hotpe said.

Addisu blinked in surprise. When had her son developed such strong views? It was alien for an Egyptian to feel remorse for the brutal way they treated their slaves. Being a prince should have been reason enough to uphold his father's ideals.