Chapter Thirty-Three

*You must have noticed the new title. Explanation at end of chapter. Happy reading.

____________________________________

"Keep moving, boys. Do not make me come down," Michal said in a tired voice. She had developed a fever the night before, and now, she had to use Re'hotpe's horse. She was seated sideways on the saddle with a hand holding her shawl in place and another gripping Black's rein.

The crowd was dense and their voice nearly drowned out the whooshing sound of the parted sea ahead. They pressed against each other as they made their way to the sight Re'hotpe still found impossible to accept or understand. Japheth tugged him along, forcing him to quicken his steps and fall in line with him.

"He is after me, I can feel it," Re'hotpe said loud enough for only Japheth to hear. He shifted out of the way as a man hurriedly drove a herd of sheep past them. It was obvious the animals were skittish with fright, they kept bleating and trying to run out of line.

"He is after us all, Re'hotpe. Can't you remember what the scout said? He came with an army. Why would he need an army if he came for only you?" Japheth shook his head as if he was crazy to think the way he did.

"He would punish me severely when he catches me. Perhaps I should stop and wait." Rehotpe clutched the strap of his satchel as he looked around nervously. Since their time at the stream, the feeling of being watched hunted him incessantly. He swore not to share the little information with Japheth, he was certain he would be laughed at.

"Look ahead of you, Re'hotpe. Why are you so negative? Look!" Japheth waved at the giant body of water that stood divided before them. "Have you ever seen a puddle divide in your life? If I were you, I would be worried about the Egyptians perishing." Japheth added nonchalantly.

Re'hotpe nodded. "You're right. I guess I'm being too negative."

"You guess?!" Japheth scoffed. "It's who you are, negative old man. Now, let's walk faster. I can't wait to stick my hand through that wall of water."

They quickened their steps, leaving Michal a bit behind. As they drew closer to the bank of the sea, Re'hotpe felt cool water touch his face like mist.

"Can you feel that?" Japheth laughed in excitement and he touched his face. "It's like dew."

Re'hotpe chuckled when Japheth stuck his tongue out. He turned to check on Michal, she was a bit close. Her normally shiny-looking hair hung limp at the sides of her face, it swayed slightly as the horse trotted along. Her complexion was dull and her eyes were red-rimmed. Re'hotpe worried for her, a lot. She kept assuring them she was fine, but that did nothing to stifle his apprehension. The thought of anything bad happening to her planted a deep sorrow in his heart. He sighed and turned back ahead. 

They were very close to the rear of the crowd, a reality Re'hotpe was increasingly beginning to loathe. If the Egyptians were to suddenly come upon them, they would be the first to be struck down. Knowing his father, he would probably kill a few to show an example, to instil fear and force submission. He shuddered at the image his mind painted. The closer they drew to the sea, the harder Re'hotpe's heart slammed against his chest.

He is coming for you. He will kill you like he probably killed your mother.

Re'hotpe shook his head vehemently and fought the thoughts flogging his unsettled mind. He blinked hard, refusing to think of his mother dead, refusing to cry.

"And...one step!" Japheth pumped his fist and jumped. His movement made him bump into a man to his right. The cloak-covered man stumbled a bit before righting his steps.