Chapter Thirty-four

The rest of the week goes by pretty much the same. Couple bonding. Kissing. Cuddling. Bathing together. Watching Lucifer while snuggling together on the couch bed. And talking for hours about anything and everything. It's been heaven apart from keeping it a secret in public. The most physical we have been is the bathing. Even that still makes me blush when I think of it. He hasn't pushed or urged for anything more. Every day he proves more and more of what a gentleman he is.

Mr Grayson has been watching us carefully, waiting for another slip-up. We haven't given him one, not yet anyways. We're being more careful than ever. Even when we're alone at school, we don't do anything out of the ordinary as we both now know what is on the line. Of course we always knew, but on Tuesday it had shocked the reality of our situation right in front of us. Just BAM, have that. But then you have to try to see past the bad and look for positives. The good in this situation is that we both now, if it's possible, love each other even more and are fearless at showing just how much we love each other. Just not in public.

It's Friday and the idea of meeting his family is daunting on me. That and the fact that I'll be eighteen tomorrow. I'll be an adult. It just sounds so weird; me, an adult. I won't see mum or dad until work experience is over, so they'll have to give me a week late congratulations. I'm not doing anything for my birthday as far as I know, apart from meeting, what sounds like is going to be, his entire family. But I'll be with him, so that's all I need.

I wish I could have done something with Vie for my birthday though, we haven't seen each other that much this week. We talk in the morning and occasionally at recesses and lunch if Ryan and I are on playground duty. But it is nowhere near enough. I miss my best friend. We're going to have the best sleep over after work experience. But I don't want work experience to end, I'm loving it too much. One week nearly down. Only one to go. We still haven't had the 'what's going to happen after work experience' talk. Actually, I should go talk to him about that now.

I jump out of the shower and dry my hair. The clothes I put on aren't even mine, they're Ryan's sweatpants and a shirt that's baggy on me, from his cupboard. He said I could borrow his clothes any time I wanted, of course I wouldn't deny being able to wear his clothes. I prefer when they're dirty and smell like him though.

I walk out of his room and downstairs, calling out his name a couple times. I hear a faint "in here" coming from the study. I know that it may seem we don't get much work done, but we do. A lot, really. Planning classes, marking papers, which I'm really good at apparently, and other teacher work. It's been a very educational experience.

I open the door to the study to see him bent over the desk, writing something on a piece of paper. His hair has fallen in front of his eyes and his face shows just how concentrated he is. He's such a dedicated teacher. I bet he will be a great father. I just hope that we'll still be together for me to be the mother. I really do want to have a life with him. I want to be one of the lucky few that find their soul mate and spend their lives together, happy and content.

He looks up and smiles at me, then beckons for me to come sit in his lap as he swings the chair around to face me. I grin and walk over, gently sitting down in his lap with my legs over one side and snuggling myself into his chest. I will never get sick of doing this. The high from being so close to him will never go away.

"Hey, I wanted to talk to you about something," I say, looking up at him.

He peers down with curious eyes and asks, "Yeah, of course. What's up?"

"I think we should finally talk about what is going to happen after work experience." He looks knowingly at me, like he was expecting me to say it. We've avoided it long enough. It's time to face the challenge and solve it.

"Yes, I think we should," he sighs. Not a sigh that says he can't be bothered or just doesn't feel like it. It was a sad sigh. One that says he wanted to ignore the fact that this perfect little, vacation you could call it, will soon be coming to an end.

"Where do you want to start?" he asks.

"Maybe straight after work experience ends. We won't be able to even have a proper conversation that much. Cause people would get suss if we talked all the time and when will we even be able to find time to talk? When you're on playground duty? But you'll be too busy looking after the kids..."

"Hey, hey, hey," he coos, cutting off my train of distress. "Everything will work out. We can still talk, we're still friends. Yes, when we're alone, we're a couple. But we're still friends. There is nothing wrong with a teacher and a student being friends or talking sometimes when I'm off duty. I can come out onto the playground anyways. We'll find a way around these things."

"But what If we drift apart? Like, if we can only talk rarely and start to lose feelings for one another," I fret.

"We have known each other for a few years now and we have, in no way, drifted apart so far. So we're not going to when everything goes back. Especially since we're together now."

"You're right," I sigh in relief.

"I don't know how to say this without it coming across like it is a necessity for a relationship, but. What about the physical stuff? Like hugging and kissing? I don't think I could go a day without hugging you anymore."

"You could visit, on the weekends. I could pick you up from your house or you could catch the bus into Jarada and I could pick you up from there so that it's not so obvious. I mean, how many Chevrolet impalas are around? It would look a little sus on top of everything else. Because really, we're not the best at controlling our desires. Remember the self-defence lessons? I can't believe I didn't get scolded for it," he smiles at the memory and I do too. It will stay with me forever.

"I'll never forget it," I sigh happily.

"It's up to you though, what you want to do. But I know that we're going to make this work. Even if we have to wait until you graduate." I smile at how similar he sounds to Vie right now. They were exactly her plan too.

"I like that idea... spending weekends here. I'll catch the bus every Friday afternoon and go home on Sundays," I smile up at him.

"What about your parents?" he asks, concerned.

"They won't care, I'll tell them that I've made a really good friend in Jarada and love to spend weekends there. Technically, I'm not lying," I smirk.

"No, technically you're not," he chuckles.

"I think we can actually make this work," I say with confidence.

"Yeah, I think so too. Only because we're willing to fight for it," he points out.

"I'd fight anything to be with you," I tell him.

"I'd fight the whole damn planet if that's what it takes to be with you," he says, looking deeply into my eyes. We smile at one another and lean in to kiss. I really do think that this is going to work. We are going to make it work. Because we want to. Because we have to.