18. Betrayal

"Are you insane Austin?! You're asking for too much!" Admiral Niall bellowed at his son. And unlike previous confrontations, Austin stood his ground, his jaw twitching in irritation.

"No! No I am not insane! Money is money dad, but we're talking about lives here! Don't tell me years and years in the Navy has made you forget the value of a human life!" Austin growled back.

Admiral Niall had almost forgotten his son was grown up. And though he'd never admit it, he was fiercely proud that his son was willing to stand his ground.

"I have the money," Admiral Niall admitted, whispering now.

"I know. You have more than that dad. We're loaded. Disgustingly so. I really, really need to help them. Please? I'll use my trust fund. Just loan me the extra. I promise, I will pay you back!" Austin begged, finally calming down.

"Austin, sometimes I wish you would come to me before making promises like that," Admiral Niall sighed, "then again, if you did, you wouldn't be my son, would you?" he mused, cracking a dry smile.

"Thank you dad! So much!" Austin enthused. He wasn't by any means a spoilt kid, nobody could ever consider him spoiled. But he knew where things stood. He was the only son, and he knew his father would make the Earth circle the moon to keep him happy.

Admiral Niall rolled his eyes and pulled out his ATM card. He passed it to his son and walked out the room nonchalantly. Austin breathed a quick thanks to the world before jumping into his car again. 

At precisely twelve, Austin pulled up in front of the Rubin residence for the second time that morning. Feeling slightly light headed, he walked slowly up the drive way and knocked on the door.

Mr Rubin answered the door quickly, but looked disappointed to see Austin there.

"I'm sorry it took so long. I ran into trouble after trouble. But I have the money," Austin whispered, patting his backpack. Mr Rubin's eyes widened and he looked at Austin, lost for words.

"Mr Rubin? Are you okay?" Austin finally asked.

"Yes...I don't know how to thank you," Mr Rubin murmured, his face still frozen in shock.

"You don't have to. I want to help...and...I should tell...Teri is my girlfriend...and I really, really care about her. I don't want anything to happen to her. Ever. I'd do anything, anything to stop her from being thrust into this mess," Austin admitted, shuffling his feet awkwardly.

"I know. Teri told me," Mr Rubin mumbled. His 13 year old daughter was dating this 16 year old boy, and it is this 16 year old boy who was about to bail him out of a massive problem. How in the world could he maintain protective father when he owed the boy so much?

"Can I see her? I need to explain. She thinks I'm cheating on her...but it was a huge misunderstanding!" Austin moaned, looking pained again.

"I told Teri about her mother...she didn't take it so well. She left a while ago," Mr Rubin mumbled, his eyes downcast.

Austin nodded his head. he was a little hurt Teri hadn't come to him. He was so sure that the moment she heard the truth, he would be the first person she ran to.

"We should go..." Austin murmured. Mr Rubin nodded his head, grabbed his coat and walked down the driveway to Austin's Mercedes.

Austin drove out of town to one of the seedy motels and pulled up. His car being so ostentatious even in the hustling, bustling town, cried for attention out here. Everybody who passed by ogled.

Ignoring all of that, Austin handed the bag of cash to Mr Rubin and the two of them walked to the back of the motel where they were to meet Mickey.