16. The Dinner

Robert Rubin stood motionless as he stared at the two familiar faces across the lobby. 

After 12 years of successfully hiding from 'the Boys'... 12 long years of secrecy... All of it wasted in one night. 

Mikey shook Austin's hand, never keeping his eyes off of Robert. Probably to be sure that he didn't run away again. 

Well... Since Robert didn't have a car to get away with... That was completely pointless. 

They were caught.

Teri was shaking again. Could it be she remembered her dream from the previous night? 

Mikey's face did leave a pretty big impression on a person's memories. With dark brown eyes that seem to cut right through you... 

You could feel the hatred that filled those cold eyes. Almost as though he could kill you with his stare alone. 

Robert could only imagine how Teri felt about them. 

But there was nothing they could do about it. Luckily for them, neither could Mikey. 

They were in a ritzy hotel filled with rich, snooty people, and there was bound to be heavy security for their riches. 

"Mr Rubin!" Austin called to him, snapping him out of his trance. "Come meet my uncle Mikey!"

Mikey gave a huge, undoubtedly fake, grin to Robert. 

Seeing as he had no choice, he held Teri's hand in his, and made his way toward the man who had nearly killed his wife. 

---------------

"So you two know each other?" Austin asked as they sat down for dinner. 

There seemed to be a tension in the air between them, as Mr Rubin and Uncle Mikey sat across from each other. 

Teri was sitting next to Austin, and although she smiled widely, there was an uneasiness to the way she looked at his uncle. 

"We've met on a couple of occasions," uncle Mikey said, picking up his butter knife and spreading jam on his bread. 

"You could say our last occasion ended with a great bang eh Rubin?" Jimmy chuckled. 

Mr Rubin kept quiet as he gingerly ate his own piece of bread. 

Austin just couldn't understand it. Mr Rubin had been fine on the way over here. Did it have something to do with what uncle Mikey's friend had said?

But he pushed the thought out of his head when his dad arrived at the table with Steph.

He stood up and gave a crisp salute saying, "Admiral," in greeting. 

Admiral Cameron Niall chuckled as his son gave him a sly grin. Patting him on the back, he turned to Mr Rubin. 

"My son's told me quite a bit about you Mr Rubin," he said with a warm smile. 

"Robert," Mr Rubin said, holding out his hand for the admiral, who shook it firmly. 

"And this is my daughter, Teri," He said, placing his hand on Teri's shoulder. 

She stood up and shook the Admiral's hand as well. 

Austin couldn't help himself from chuckling as he watched her dainty hands try to grasp his father's big hand in a firm handshake. 

Steph just stood there, looking quite bored. Even when the admiral motioned to her and said, "This is my wife, Stephanie."

She held out her hand and mr Rubin kissed it. "Charmed," he said. 

"Well, now that that's done, Robert! I hear you have this big project you're working on if I'm not mistaken," the admiral said, taking a seat next to Mr Rubin.