Chapter Ten

So both Daniel and I skipped school Monday. He has been nothing but nice. He has still made me eat but didn't put any pressure to make me.

It's Wednesday now, and Daniel is downstairs making us breakfast and I am picking out my outfit.

Not wanting to put any effort into my appearance, I grab some maroon joggers and a gray sweatshirt and put them on. I put my hair in a messy bun on top of my head. I put black Nike tennis shoes on and head down stairs.
When I hit the bottom step, I am engulfed with the smell of pancakes. I make my way around the corner and see a sight that I never thought I would see in a million years.

Old ninety music is playing and Mallory is sitting on the counter, mixing what I suspect is pancake mix. Daniel is flipping a pancake professionally in the air, but really what the best part is, is that he is singing off pitch and shaking his butt and bobbing his head rapidly up and down. When he would set down the pan he would start making weird motions with his arms. The song ends, and Mal starts clapping and I join in to show my presence.

Daniel turns around as fast as possible, almost falling in the process. He stares at me with an unreadable expression.

"That was fantastic dancing," I say with a smirk plastered on my face.

"I know, anyway since when do you dress lazy?"

"Since I became a emotional mess."

"Well you look adorable," he says, turning around to continue on with his now semi-burnt pancake.

"Really! I'm not adorable!"

"Yes you are."

"You make it sound like I'm a two year old!"

"How so?"

"Like how people are like 'look at that little girl she's so adorable'," I say making my voice go higher than usual to imitate a different person.

"Fine... you look cute," he says with a smug smile.

"That's basically the same thing!"

"Fine then what do you prefer?"

"I dunno, decent," I say more like a question.

"Decent? I say pretty," at that I instantly blush.

"Okay let's just drop it and eat pancakes."

"Mmm pancakes," Mallory speaks in a small voice.

"Come here Mal Mal," I say, sticking my arms out to pick her up. She wraps her little arms around my neck.

"When did you get here sweetie?" I ask.

"Gwanma!" I laugh at he explanation

"Is your daddy taking you to daycare?

Mallory doesn't reply but plays with the end of my hair. I look over at Daniel to get my answer and he nods as if answering yes.

"Okay Mal let's eat baby doll," he says and he smiles a genuine smile towards her.

"Food!"

I walk over to daniel and set my hand on his shoulder. He turns towards me so I have a clear view of his face, and taking this opportunity into consideration, I start to study his face.

His brown hair is in its usual messy state with different pieces of hair flying up in all different directions. His green eyes shimmer as the light makes them lighter in color. He has dark circles under his eyes as if he hasn't slept for weeks. I continue to take in his other features and before I know he is leaning in towards me. Immediately I take a step back. I speed walk over to the counter and make a plate of pancakes for myself and Mallory. I take them both and set one in front of Mal and take the other upstairs so I can eat alone instead of having to face Daniel. I know I'll have to today when he takes me to and from school. I set my plate on my night stand and walk into the bathroom.
I look into the mirror and see a broken girl.

A broken girl.

That's all I am.

I am and will never be something special.

Just like Damon said.

You're stupid.

I only dated you to get in your pants.

You were a bet.

A bet.

I am a bet to him too.

I can't do this anymore.

I will get hurt again so I have nothing ever to live for.