Escape: Start!

Illustrations will be added later.

The hallway was dark, unlike the warm and brightly lit atmosphere it carried from before. Toriel had probably gone to bed. Which meant it was a perfect opportunity to sneak out, unnoticed.

Steven and Peridot quietly made their way through, trying to create as little noise as possible.

Taking the lead was Steven, walking at a steady pace. Occasionally he would glance back to make sure his friend was okay.

There was no conversation between them. It was quiet save for the ruffling of feet coming in contact with shag carpeting.

Peridot followed closely behind. Green fingers constantly wriggling with each other. Her mind was currently contemplating on a lot of things.

Had she gone too far? A little too harsh perhaps?

Should she had not break it up to Steven? But, she couldn't bear to lie to Steven. She told him in order to let him know just how serious this is.

And dear diamonds, the silence was killing her.

The green gem looked around to make sure that she didn't trip on anything on the floor. Sighing, she changed the subject to where should they proceed in their next in their escape plan.

Should they head outside? But they had been through almost every part in the Ruins, as Toriel called them. She also checked out every part of Toriel's home.

Except...

...

An idea clicked in her head.

Wall lamps were hung up on their sides, giving the duo the only source of light. They illuminated shadows onto the walls, stretching out into dark blobs of shapes.

The ruffling of footsteps on carpet was replaced with the familiar clicking on floorboards. Steven was about to open the front door but Peridot whispered out for him.

"Steven hold on a second!"

Steven turned on his heels in response, a look of confuse on his face. "What's up?"

"I think we should head downstairs." Peridot told him as she pointed towards the stairs.

It was the only place that was yet to be explored. "We never been there, maybe we should take a look first."

Steven hummed in thought, and nodded. "Sounds like a plan." He checked the straps around his shoulders and headed towards the steps.

"Steven wait."

For a second time, Steven halted. In front of him stood the green gem, arms held out sideways and eyes boring intently at his.

"About just now..." Peridot's stance fell back a little.

"I'm sorry. "

I just..."

Peridot's stance fell a little.

"Peridot."

"It's not that I wanted to. Wait, I did want to tell you it's just that...argh!" Peridot eyes darted around as she went on. "Why do things have to be so complicated...."

"Peridot."

"Just...p-please don't be mad!" Her voice was starting to speed up. "I know I should've told you sooner but apparently you dozed off and I didn't wish to wake you up because you were so exhausted and I just-"

"PERIDOT!"

The gem seized her rambling at the raise in Steven's voice. She glanced down and found him grasping her arms steadily, expression concern. The room was silent except for the sound of their breathing.