Ribbons and Knives

"This is pointless." Peridot groaned.

She was becoming impatient. They had been waiting for quite a while now. Peridot was pacing around the room while Steven was looking at his phone. 20:16. 11 minutes have passed since Toriel left them.

"Can't seem to get a signal down here." He mumbled.

He thought about texting Connie to informed the Gems that they'll be late due the situation they were in. Or even better, maybe call them for a rescue.

"Steven."

Steven looked up and saw Peridot with her hands on her hips. "I suggest that we proceed to the next room. We could make better progress that way." She exclaimed.

"But didn't Toriel told us to wait for her here?"

"Well it's a far better breakthrough than spending our time here doing nothing. Plus..." she stopped for a moment before going on.

"Don't you want to find a way out of here and go home?"

Steven eyes widen with realization. Of course he wanted to go home. It's just the thought of going against Toriel's words that said otherwise.

Then he thought about the Gems. How Pearl must've been freaking out by now. Amethyst would've said that she was exaggerating but he knew she would be worried too. Garnet probably could've saw this coming with her future vision. Yet, him and Peridot falling into a hole into the depths of the mountain was one of the most unlikely outcomes. Within the cool and rational personality, Ruby and Sapphire would still be shocked to say the least.

Last but not least, Connie. No. Not Connie.

"Okay, You're right." Steven placed his cell phone back into his backpack. "I guess a little exploring wouldn't hurt. But maybe try not to go too far."

"As always." Peridot was the first to began walking, followed by Steven. They crossed the doorway to the other side.

The moment they set foot in the new room, their cellphone rang. Steven's footsteps stiffen. He took his backpack off and brought out the ringing object. Sure enough, the screen displayed the caller's name was none other than Toriel. He answered it and put it on loudspeaker as Peridot inched in closer to hear.

"Hello, this is Toriel. You two have not left the room, have you?" She asked with concern.

Those words sent a line of guilt down onto Steven's spine. "Uh...n-not at all." He stammered at the answer.

"There are a few puzzles ahead that I have yet to explain." She told them. "It would be dangerous to try to solve them on your own."

"Be good, alright?" And with a sound of click, she hung up.

Steven was left speechless. "How does she do that?"

Peridot on the other hand, just rolled her eyes and groaned. "This has to be some kind of coincidence. It's absurd that Toriel talks as if we are not capable of taking care of ourselves." She grumbled.

"Well, we've made our choice didn't we...?" Steven sighed. "Lets just see how'll things turn out." He said as he kept the phone.

Looking around, the chamber they were in had two ways, one to the left and another that led to the right. On the side stood a frog-like critter while piles of the same colored leaves they saw earlier were scattered randomly around the room. And again, they saw the same glittering yellow star from before. They walked up towards the frog creature.

When they neared the monster, it spoke, or rather, it crooked. "Ribbit, ribbit. Hello, I am Froggit."

Steven crouched down in front of Froggit and waved. "Hi, my name's Steven and there's Peridot over here." He moved his head a little to show the green gem standing behind him.