Chapter 17

Weekend update, as promised! In case you missed my announcement, updates are only on weekends now. But it won't be a problem for this story much longer, because the story is quickly drawing to an end. Enjoy! -LRUF

His first thoughts were a jumble.

After the shocking storm of panicked thoughts came the emotions.

Dismay. Hurt. Pain. Betrayal. Agony. Despair. Anger.

Everything a Jedi shouldn't be feeling.

Jax had never thought it was possible to feel so much at once.

His eyes lit like a bright fire, Jax glared up at Darth Vader, tugging at his stun cuffs. He didn't care about the still ignited lightsaber at his neck, he only cared about revenge for what Vader had done to his Padawan.

"Monster," Jax growled. "He was just a boy!"

"His name is Darth Blade," The Sith replied curtly. "And yes, he was a boy. An untrained, weak child. Now he is a Sith apprentice, and is so much more powerful than you could ever have taught him to be." 

"His name is Kajin Savaros," Jax snapped. "He is a Jedi apprentice!"

"Kajin Savaros is dead," the boy spoke up, voice empty and monotone. "And so was the Jedi he was."

"That's Vader talking," Jax shook his head defiantly. He stared up into the angry eyes, his own pleading. "Kaj, snap out of it. Think of who you are–"

"Don't call me that!" The boy's hands curled into fists and the ground shook beneath them, his eyes flashing was anger. "Don't call me by that name!"

"Kaj," Jax begged, completely ignoring the Dark Lord at this point. "This isn't what your parents would want."

"They're going to rot in their Imperial cell. It doesn't matter what they wanted." Kaj bared his teeth. Jax sensed turmoil inside of his apprentice, confusion swirling around.

"Kaj–"

"That's enough."

The crimson blade was suddenly eye level with the Jedi. Jax stiffened instinctively. 

"I tire of this game," the Sith Lord said, voice echoing. Suddenly, the glowing saber at Jax's throat deactivated and Darth Vader held the hilt out to Kaj, who took it, his motions mechanical. 

"End him." Vader ordered. 

Kaj suddenly started, yellow eyes widening in alarm. "Me?"

"Yes, you. Kill him." 

"I...." Kaj looked down at the captive Jedi. "I can't. You do it, I.... I can't." 

"Are you disobeying an order, Darth Blade?" The Dark Lord asked inquisitively, seeming somewhat surprised. 

"I...." Kaj eyed Jax, eyes unsure and filled with a wild look. Then they seemed to settle back into dull, emptiness. "Yes, my Lord." He held out the lightsaber to the black-armoured menace. 

Vader glanced at the boy. "Very well." He took back his saber. 

Jax felt the Force surge through him. It was warning him. 

Move!

Immediately, Jax rolled to his left, managing to tuck his cuffed hands under his body. A red lightsaber swung where his form had been, and he sprawled on the ground before standing up and quickly backing away from his enemy. 

He had barely moved in time to avoid the killing stroke that would have beheaded him. 

"I warned you not to disobey me," the Sith growled. "Now you will pay the price." 

He threw his lit lightsaber at Jax. 

Time seemed to slow down as the crimson blade spun towards him. 

The Force flooded through him, surrounding him, penetrating him. 

The lightsaber was red like blood, he noticed. 

No more bloodshed. 

This is over. 

Jax moved with a fluid-like grace. As the blade screamed towards him, he dropped to his knees and slid forward on them. The lightsaber curved over his head as he tilted his head back to avoid contact. The weapon's hum faded as the Jedi stood up, then the noise grew again as Jax turned to face the once-again incoming weapon. It seemed to be moving much faster. 

His mind went blank. 

The lightsaber continued spinning towards him. 

"NO!" came the ragged shout, and Jax watched, mystified, as the saber suddenly moved away from him and went speeding past, slicing his handcuffs off on the way past. He whirled around just in time to watch the blade hit Vader, who couldn't move in time. 

The Dark Lord sank to his knees, the control box on his chest smoking and sparking, black mask staring accusingly at the culprit. 

Kajin Savaros, eyes returned to normal colour, was staring back. 

"You will pay for this," Vader said quietly, already tipping over onto his side. "The Empire will have its vengeance."

Although still breathing, the Sith lay on his side, unmoving. 

He was alive, but wounded, and now unconscious. 

Kaj, eyes wide with shock, turned to Jax. 

The Jedi stared back. 

The two faced each other, as blaster fire erupted in the background and the wind blew their clothing and hair around. 

"I couldn't do it," Kaj broke the silence. "I couldn't let him do it. I'm sorry–"

With two long strides, Jax reached the boy and pulled him into his arms. Kaj stiffened in surprise, then hugged his Master back joyfully. Tears brimmed at both of their eyes.

Finally, they were reunited. 

"Stop being so brave," Jax said. "No more sacrificing. Deal?" 

Kaj clung to the man who had barely replaced his father. "Deal, Master."

"Welcome back, my Padawan," Jax whispered. "Let's go home."