Chapter 7

Jax stirred, his entire body numb. His chest ached dreadfully. As he opened his eyes, it all came flooding back to him. The horrible pain from Vader's lightsaber stab, the vision... Kaj!

Jax opened his mouth to begin screaming and fighting again, but instantly felt a hand clap over his mouth.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

Jax tilted his head and looked up to see Inquisitor Probus Tesla standing over him. He raised his eyebrows as if to say, Why not?

"Because I've got control over your lifespan," Tesla told him. "And your Padawan's."

Jax stiffened. Kaj!

"Yes, your apprentice is here. Quite a fighter, isn't he? He nearly blew up the place in his.... uncertainty. Honestly Jedi, have you taught him no discipline?"

Ignoring his foe's jabbing comments, Jax shot the Inquisitor a look that said, Where is he?

"Safe," Tesla simply replied. "Unlike you."

The hand over his mouth was removed and Jax gasped. He hadn't realized his breathing was being restricted until he had been able to breathe fully again. "Where is he?" He rasped, throat sore.

"You're not even the least bit concerned for yourself?" Tesla asked. "You've had quite an ordeal. A lightsaber wound that could have been very fatal...."

Only then did Jax feel the pain again. Oh the pain.... But he pushed past it and looked down at himself. He saw the bloody gash in his chest and felt nauseous at the sight of it.

"Quite deep, isn't it?" Tesla asked. "If your conscious hadn't fought so hard to stay alive, Pavan, you would have been dead by now."

"WHERE IS HE?!" Jax asked, starting to lose his control. He repeated the Jedi Code over and over to himself. There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion....

Tesla laughed and plunged another needle into Jax's arm. Instantly, Jax felt stiff. He tried to move against the restraints holding him to the bed, but couldn't. He couldn't move. I need to get to Kaj....

"It's a paralyzation drug. All you will be able to do, Pavan, is talk. And breathe, unfortunately. And I can personally guarantee that it won't wear off for AT LEAST 4 hours. And then I will simply drug you again. And again. And AGAIN. Enjoy your rest, Jedi. I'm sure that it will be a peaceful one, with no thoughts whatsoever of your helpless Padawan."

Tesla began to walk away, than stopped and turned around. "Oh, I just about forgot. Lord Vader asked me to deliver a message to you. He says to tell you this: The next time you see your Padawan will not be a pleasant one."

And as the Inquisitor left the room, Jax spouting swear words after him, Tesla smiled as Pavan's angry curses faded into the hum of background noise. 

All was going wonderfully according to plan.