nine

"You've never told me you had a boyfriend before".

That comes sooner than I expected. We are walking towards Percy's apartment since it isn't far away from the Institute, as Alec and the others called the church we were in. Somehow, I don't feel guilty for not sharing the brief Jace part of my life with Jared.

Both their names begin with J.

Stop thinking, I tell myself because this is extremely stupid.

"That's because I don't", I say even though I technically don't need to explain anything to Jared but really, he is one person that deserves a ful explanation given he is always there.

"Yeah I got that, he made it pretty clear", he blurts the words out putting an odd emphasis on 'he'.

His stare is telling me to continue with talking but I am avoiding it so I can continue with walking in silence though I know that won't last for too long.

More like at all.

"Fay?"

"It was during winter break, it lasted for like seconds and it meant nothing, that's all there is" I say.

"I believe you". What? It's not like it's any of his business anyway, I could've chosen not to tell him and not feel guilty -- as I shouldn't but oh well. "Why didn't you tell me then?"

"Well because it was nothing".

"Is it really all there is?"

"You just said you believed me" I remind him in disbelief.

"I don't mean you and him, I mean more like why did you do it anyway. You can't have been that bored".

"Well I was".

"You get bored in school too but you don't go around getting involved with people". I stop for a second. What the hell is that supposed to mean? He sounded almost jealous.

No, I must've imagined that.

Since I don't make any comments to this, he continues.

"I mean, if you were that bored why didn't you pick someone you at least knew".

That's when I feel relieved for recognizing Percy's building. Coincidences saved me many times from awkward conversations with Jared. Because I could've had a lot of them and there was always something sudden that would stop them. Because somehow, I knew that the unspoken remaining of Jared's last sentence was like me. Because I'm not one of the girls that insecurely shakes (even though I didn't find myself very attractive) thinking 'he can't like me, he could have anyone', which was very true in Jared's case -- everything can happen. Because this was not the time for figuring out what Jared and me were, even though neither of us hinted something before.

In these thoughts I reach the door at the end of the hall on the seventh floor. I go for three long and two short consecutive knocks, Percy's and my thing.

Two long seconds later, I'm facing Sally, Mr. Blofis behind her, with a gang of black tattooed people plus dull face Jared behind my back, staring at each other as if we're about to witness the end of the world.

Oh, wait.