three

In memory of Charles Beckendorf

Hermione opens the door of the compartment I share with nobody. Harry, Jared and Ron are right behind her. My eyes are wet and I find it hard to breathe. Socializing with anyone, especially my best friends, at that point is unimaginable. I honestly needed some space, some time to be alone.

"Fay, we're very sorry. We really are." Hermione says.

"I know you are. You've said it a couple of times" I mutter, barely opening my mouth. I appreciated that they are there for me, but I just can't pull myself together.

"You can't ignore us though. These are our final hours together this school year" Ron says and I know he's right. I'm being a bit selfish but that's the only way I could've possibly reacted.

Charlie was dead. And I can't do anything about it.

I feel awful.

"I won't ignore you any longer, I promisse" I say. "But... I didn't even get to say goodbye". I'm on the verge of crying again, but I just can't do it in front of them. I haven't cried in front of other people since I was six and other people were my mom.

Hermione pats my back.

"I hope you don't blame yourself. It's not your fault. You couldn't have done anything".

"Besides, this was unexpected. There are no goodbyes when it comes to death" Ron says and Jared gives him a short, angry glare. Hermione however steps on his foot with her heel. Ron frowns.

"What? It's true", he tells her silently even though I can still hear everything.

I appreciate the effort.

"I know. I just whish he had had more time". That's when Jared pulls me to his side, hugging me. If the circumstances were any different, I would enjoy it. But it wouldn't be my life if it's not complicated.

"You mustn't think like that. I wish my mom had had more time. Harry whishes his parents had had more time. You whish Charlie had had more time. But life goes on. If you think about it constantly, you'll go mad and we don't want that", he says. "Besides, there are times for both tears and laughter. You'd be surprised how unexpectedly they switch. Faster and sooner then you think".

He does make me feel a little bit better. Then he pulls out his ridiculous purple hat and we all burst out laughing. This is definitely sooner. I can't help it. Whatever it is that's going on with your life, there should always be someone to make you laugh, even if the reason for that is this stupid.

Just like that, we arrive at the Kings Cross station. There are lots of parents waiting for their kids. I know my mom and sisters won't be here. Mom is too busy and I told her I'd go straight to the airport with Jared. She was relaxed a bit when she heard I would have a male company.

It's a nice game. As if she cares.

As always, I can't believe I won't see anyone of these people in more than two months. Except for Jared. He is the only other person on this planet to know what it is like to be a demigod and a wizard at the same time. Tough life.

Jared is son of Ares, another powerful god who is pretty much okay with my dad. Children of Poseidon and Ares didn't however get along well throughout history but I guess there is exception to every rule. Another child of Ares that I do get along with is Clarisse.

We say our goodbyes quickly. In general, we don't like doing it. It is better to simply disappear and reappear after two months.

"Send me owls, all of you" Hermione reminds us. And that is it.

Since all of our things are already in camp, because of teh magical way the chests are transported, Jared and I take our backpacks and head to the Gatwick Airport.