six

It's pretty depressing how I couldn't hug my brother. I didn't get a very striking chance anyway, given that Annabeth wasn't speeking to him and she wanted to help me catch up at the same time. But when he came to see me, I just nodded and said 'hi'. Jared came to my aid of course and took him to 'show him he can finally beat him'. We all knew that wasn't going to happen.

I don't blame him for what happened to Charlie. I just get that feeling that nothing will ever be the same again and am really depressed. Knowing he will want to know all about it, I decided to ignore him. If he's not close, he doesn't notice things.

It's not because I don't love him either. I know far too well he loves me more than anyone, except Tyson, but that's different. I too love them both. It's because of this I have to avoid him until my emotions calm down - he has graver problems at this point. God knows how much he'd get upset when his little sister (it's only half a year, Percy) feels low. It isn't fair.

Instead of spending some quality time with family, and who knows how much time I have left, I decide to do the less difficult thing: check on Silena. She is sitting on her bed, casually leaving through some fashion magazine, but there is something curious - she actually looks interested in it, which is impossible. There is no fashion magazine that could possibly be more advanced than Silena. She is a trend-setter. A real one. Reading magazines is another thing she does out of boredom, meaning one thing -- she is keeping her thoughts busy, which just makes me wanna cry, but I only sit next to her on the bed.

"Hey, you're here", she says, not smiling but happy to see me. I however smile, because when I don't, I pretty much look like a gravedigger. And that is not what I want to be around her. "I'm glad to see you".

"You too. What are you reading?" The conversation started dully but I don't know what else to say or do.

"Oh, it's just some horror. Probably a year old". She turns the front to check the date. "Nope. Two" she sighs. "How was your flight?"

"It was good. I lived". Then I hear what I've just said and can't take it. She can turn to the magazine after I'm done talking anyway.

"Listen, I know everyone's probably giving you the same crap, but I really am sorry. I just want to know how you are and I'll shut up. I promisse" I say in one breath. She sighs again, lowering her shoulders. She is really brave and unfortunately most of the people don't see more to here then the pretty face.

"I honestly don't know. There's been times when it just hits me and I start sobbing uncontrollably but mostly I feel like he's still there and I expect to see him any second". She takes a quick look at her watch. "Sorry, I have to go. The... goodbye is about to begin soon and Chiron wanted me to be there earlier with the rest of Hephestus' house".

"Sure. I'll go get Percy". That's a lie because I still feel too numb to talk to him and I figure he's finished with Jared by now. Not like he normally needs much time. I hope he won't try to find me.

I however bump into Jared and we sit down and watch a black bonfire burn in silence. Goodbye, Beck, I manage to think to myself. Eighteen is deffinitely not the time to go.

My brother approaches me eventually. He sits next to me, watching the last traces of the flame.

"You okay little sis?" he asks. Tipically. I am sick of being worried about.

"Perfect. Pretty bonfire. How did you like it?" I say sarcastically. I am being too harsh and feel sorry for it immediately, but I don't have that nice habit of apologizing. These kinds of events are not to be used as a lecture for my brother anyway.

"Fay, there's no need for that. You know what I mean". I know and I don't like it. I would probably have continued being a jerk if Annabeth didn't call out.

"Percy, your dog is in the woods. Calm it down" she says, putting extra effort to pronounce that 'it'.

"On my way" he shouts back. "Sorry, gotta run. We'll talk later, allright?" I nod my head and watch as he walks off. I have a funny feeling that we won't. A feeling I recognize to be an Apollo headache when he wanted to suggest something but wouldn't show me streightaway. I am not sure which one I hate more.

I drift off to bad, hoping this day will finish but as it turns out to be, I am, completely unsurprisingly, wrong.

My funny feeling proves to be exactly what I thought it was when Chiron gal​​lopes his way ​​​​​to my bedside at around midnight and removes my covers. Rude centaur. For all he knew, I could've been sleeping naked. Jared comes right after him, exhausted, but without a need to catch his breath. He tells me my brother disappeared with Miss O'Lyri. Baisically, he needs me to find him and Jared just happens to be the one who's discovered Percy was missing.

I am thankful for Jared, but he is everywhere.

"I know where to go" I say, after Apollo showed me a picture of Percy's mom having dinner with her boyfriend at their place. It's more of her place, but Mr Blofis is there almost 24/7.

And it all resulted in Jared driving me to NYC. He doesn't have a licence but it doesn't even matter. He knows how to drive and he can knock out any police officer who tries stop him. And obliviate him.

Around two hours later, we get stuck in traffic. Not precisely a jam, but it is deffinitely slow. New York is the only place something like this can happen in the middle of the night. Jared parks the car at the pavement, knowing it would probably be taken away, and that is how the owner will find it. Chiron encouraged the Stolls to steel the car because we have some more sirious matter. After a twenty-minute walk, we reach Central Park so I can oriante myself because I'm not sure where to go. This is Percy's city, but that is the problem. Even though I spend time with my brother, some of it even here, I am after all not my brother. We actually enter the park and wander a bit and, even though it is stupid that I have to do it, I use anything to get my orientation back. I observe trees and buildings. When I finally get it right, Jared frowns.

"I can smell monsters" he says. I frown too.

"Plural, not singular?" I ask.

"According to my watch, plural". Jared has a cool watch too, so my brother and I aren't the only ones. Except that Jared's informs him of monsters, nothing else.

"Fantastic". We discover he is right about ten seconds later when four hellhounds appear from behind the trees. Easy for a regular day, but we passed that hours ago. This is too much. I break my silver bracelet and Riptide grows in my hand. Jared pulls out a knife.

Same second, hounds attack. We are holding them back but it is obvious we can't keep up much longer like this. We are exhausted, emotional and outnumberd. Except at one point we're not anymore. Or it just doesn't matter, because I can't see the person who came to our help. Jared and I each manage to end one hellhound but the last two are killed by arrows. They dissolve into ashes and shadows behind us speak.

"This is not a place for downworlders. We've got this area covered". It is a deep male voice. Jared and I turn towards it but see nothing.

"We're demigods" Jared says back to the shadows. "What do you want from us?"

"Demigods. My apologies" shadows mutter again, but more softly.

"Who are you?" I ask. Shadows start waving and a tall, black guy steps to the street light. He is dressed in black from head to toe, bow in one hand.

"Sorry if I surprised you, 'cause I sure as hell didn't scare you", he says, seeing Jared and me in an offensive posture. "My name is Alec Lightwood".