A blinded past

Começar do início

‘Come on Holly bear, let us go!’ he urged and swiftly tugged me out of the house, closing the door for me. ‘First day of college! Here we go!’ He pulled me towards the passenger side of the car and opened the door for me, waiting till I got in before he went to the other side.

Today was the first day of college for the both of us-the bestfriends since kindergarten. I grinned as I waited for him to start the car and I could feel the excitement brewing inside me. Kenny switched on the radio and we started belting out the songs that we both loved.

By the time we reached school, a lot of students were crowded around the carpark and Kenny quickly manoeuvred out of the way, sliding to park. Feeling excited, I wrenched open the door of his Mazda and glanced around, hearing the noise people were making. ‘There’s a lot of people,’ I stated a fact as I heard Kenny move towards me. ‘What do you see Kenny?’

‘Well, there are a lot of buildings around us. All painted white just to make it look big, it doesn’t really look like a school to me though,’ he rattled on as we walked hand in hand towards the school. ‘We’ve parked in the middle of the school, there’s a hill heading up on your left and a long hallway stretching down on your right which leads to the engineering block.’

‘We’re walking along the side of the open carpark by the way and we’re heading uphill towards your art block. And there are a lot of hot girls around,’ he pointed out with a chuckle. ‘And also hot guys,’ he added after awhile which earned a laugh from me. ‘I think we spotted some of our friends.’

I gazed towards where his voice came from and Kenny called out one of our friends, he pulled me towards the direction of the answer and I waited until we were near them. They greeted us and I nodded at them, smiling at their eagerness. Some grabbed my hand to shake and some hugged me tightly.

They exchanged pleasantries, joking around with Kenny and slapped his back, earning choruses of laughter. By their voices, I guessed they were Kenny’s old rugby friends back in high school.

After a while, we left them with a promise that we’d meet up with them sometime and we head off towards the art block to find my class. I was taking a major in music while Kenny was taking a major in mechanical engineering. We decided to get into the same college as each other since we were best friends and that Kenny didn’t want me to be alone due to my condition.

‘Alright Holly bear,’ Kenny said once we reached the entrance of the class I was supposed to be in. ‘This is your class, careful there’s a step about an inch high right in front of you and turn left to get to your seat.’ He waited for me to nod, I could imagine him smile at me and he gave me a huge bear hug, carrying me up which made me laugh. He dropped me on the floor and ruffled my hair. ‘Adieu, I’ll see you later.’

‘Bye Kenny!’ I called out to him, turning my face to the left and gave him my goofy smile. I heard him laugh and I pulled out the cane in my hand, snapping it open till it reached to the floor. Kenny mentioned there was a rise in the step and gauging the distance with the cane, I managed to get into class, earning glances by feel.

I walked into the classroom, the feel of air-con on my skin and turned left, making my way easily down the length of it and stopped at a vacant seat. I turned to my right and slid in, making sure my cane didn’t slide out of my hand.