‘Thankyou.’ I say. It seems funny that the people I need most protecting from is my family I sigh at that. We drive away from our house which is more like a mansion and head to school.

When we pull up of school we see kids all rushing in to meet there friends from our holiday break. I get out the car and take my last sip of blood and leave the mug in the car and sigh. Ares high, school for all supernaturals. Vampires aren’t the only mythical creatures around there are also fairies, werewolves, witches and shapeshifters and each have their own type of power. I feel a rush of wind blast past me as I see a female vampire running full speed into her boyfriend’s arms, I roll my eyes at the sight of them sucking off each other’s faces as I make my way into the busy school. The moment I step inside I feel like my head is going to explode with all the noises and my super sensitive hearing. My father says my powers are getting stronger as I get older since I have come of age. My father has been teaching me and my brother to try and block out the noise but I suck at it.

‘Nikki you ok?’ I feel Travis hand on my shoulder I cringe because his voice sounds so loud like he is yelling in my ear.

‘I am fine.’ I smile which is very forced and try very hard to block out the noise but the best I can do is get it to a buzzing noise.

‘You sure, I can take you home?’ He says worried for me. Even though he is a pain in my ass half the time when it comes to my safety and health he is very caring.

‘Yeah I can do this.’ I guess the prep talk in the car didn’t help. During the holidays both Travis and I both underwent some serious changes, we both got our full fangs and all of our powers got heightened I have had a hard time adjusting but Travis had no trouble at all.

‘Well if you need to leave just howler for me.’ I punch him in the arm and he rubs it.

‘Ouch that hurt!’ He smiles laughing as he walks away. When I get to my locker I hear a scream from behind me and jump at the sound.

‘Nikki!’ I turn around to be crushed by my best friend Vixen. Vixen is not a vampire but a witch, my father is still worried about our friendship but he allows it. She has blonde hair but dies it three different colours like most witches green, purple and pink.

‘Do you mind not screaming?’ I say slamming my locker and wincing at the noise.  

‘Whoa someone’s temperamental this morning.’ She gives me a huge hug and I cannot help but smell the delicious scent of her blood. I can feel my fangs coming through and I pull away and take three deep breaths. One other horrible thing about the change was the blood lust. My father says it will help if I drink from the vein but I am afraid I won’t be able to control myself.

‘Hey are you ok you look a little pale then you usually do?’ I look at my best friend to see her eyes are wide and her plush is racing I cannot help but lick my lips as everything around me stops and the only thing I can see and hear is Vixen’s blood and her beautiful blue vein and take a step forward when I feel a strong pair of hands wrap around my torso.

‘Nikki remember deep breathes think of me naked’ I cringe my nose at the thought of that and everything snaps back into I look to see a very frightened Vixen. I am turned around and I am staring into my brother chest. He looks down on me with a very worried face.

‘I told father not to let you go back to school but you know how he is come on, I am taking you home.’ He is dragging me away and causing a little bit of a scene. I shake out of it and face him.

‘No I am fine, really, it won’t happen again.’ He looks at me and he is still deciding what to do with me.

‘Look its ok, I will take care of her. Anyway if she does try and eat me I will cut of her air supply.’ Vixen says she smiles but I can tell she is still afraid.