Chapter 22-The Brother

All Rights Reserved

Chapter 22-The Brother

Emmaline Heywood's POV

My brother was awake.

That was the only thought that ran on a loop in my mind since I had gotten the news. It was one thing to hope and wish and pray for it but it was another thing for it to actually come true.

I could feel Jack giving me quick glances as he drove us to the hospital. After getting the news from the hospital, I had gone into shock and Jack had taken the phone away from me and decided I wasn't in the right state of mind to be driving anywhere. Hence, he became the driver.

I had thoughts of bringing Ella but I needed to see the condition my brother was in. I had read cases where patients had lost their memories or weren't dealing well with coming out of a coma. I didn't want to give Theo the news of having a daughter when he had so much other things to adapt to.

I was thankful that Jack hadn't spoken but instead led me towards the car and began driving. I didn't know what to say, I didn't even think of a word and don't even bring up stringing a sentence together.

Once Jack had arrived at the hospital, it was a wordless agreement that I head up first while he found a space to park the car and get his disguise on.

The thoughts must have been rushing throughout my head from the minute I entered the hospital till I reached Theo's room. Giving a slight knock against the door, I took a deep breath an entered the room.

The minute I stepped in, my eyes automatically landed on the figure sitting up on the bed with a doctor at his side. It was true. Theo was awake.

Theo looked away from the doctor and gazed at me with wide eyes. "Emmy."

Now that my brother was awake and was sitting up, it was clear that he was more gaunt and pale, his brown eyes were staring at me in disbelief. It was probably due to the fact that he had received the news of being in a coma for more than a year.

Immediately, I could feel the telltale signs of tears coming and I quickly glanced away from him and gave my full attention to the doctor who was waiting patiently - no doubt he was used to all of this.

"Miss Heywood I presume?"

I nodded and the doctor peered at me through his round glasses before doling out my brother's condition and that he was perfectly fine but weak due to the lack of any muscle activity and that it is recommended he stay in the hospital for about a week more for further observation.

I must have given some sign of acknowledgement because the doctor gave me a short curt nod before leaving the room to both Theo and I.

"Emmy," my brother started hoarsely as he stared at me.

I couldn't say anything. Perhaps it was more likely that I didn't know what to say. I was stunned into speechlessness. The news I had received an hour earlier didn't seem real but seeing my brother awake and staring at me and talking to me made everything into a reality.

All the anger and frustration and not to mention the hurt from these past few months of seeing my brother on the verge of death welled up in me.

"You bloody idiot," I hissed through clenched teeth.

"Emmy, I-" Theo started. However I cut him off, "How dare you. Doing drugs! What the hell were you thinking?" I questioned harshly, my tone was so sharp that it could probably cut glass as I repressed the urge to smack him in the head repeatedly. How stupid could you be to turn to drugs just because you felt life was going downhill?