The Thing In The Window

The wind forced the rain to slam against the glass like bullets. Branches from the nearby tree, clawed at the outside walls, as if it were trying to break in to my home. The static of the TV in the family room echoed down the corridors of the first floor, creeping down into the basement like a ghost.  The basement was cold, dark, and cluster phobic. It was small with only a furnace in the far right corner, furthest away from the stairs, a washer and dryer that you would have to kick a couple of times for it to start, and a window that faced into the forest behind the house. The single LED light that hung above the washer and dryer had burnt out, so the only light I had was from the frequent flashes of lighting that pushed through the window, followed by ferocious crash of thunder that broke the sound of rain hitting the tarp near the side of the house. I jumped constantly at event. Not only was I alone in the dark basement, but our water tank was broken, and it would occasionally make gurgling sounds. One could mistake it of thinking something was crept in the corner them, moaning in constant pain. 

I had only just started folding the laundry when power suddenly shut off. It was at that moment when everything you feared came to life, all your imaginations, all your nightmares. The constant growl of the water tank was more clear, and I pictured a man standing in the corner, facing away from me, gurgling, trying to talk but his throat wouldn't allow it. Pale and hairless he would turn to face me, and slowly make way towards me, until the cold of his breath was kissing the back of my neck. The hairs on my arm began to rise at the seen,  and all I wanted to do was run. But no, I stood for a moment, paralyzed by fear and shock. Everything was quiet. The static from the TV that was lurking around in the dark like a stray dog had dissipated. The humming from the washer and dryer, and the wires that decorated the ceiling went dead. The only sound that filled the space of darkness was the beat of my heart, and rain tapping on the glass. Of course I had always been afraid of the dark, I never really seemed to grow out of it, so coming into the basement alone was a real challenge for me. My husband had gone out of town the day before on a business trip, so really the chores were my own burden. I was afraid, I was cold and alone. I began to feel the lump of panic rise up through my throat when suddenly, from upstairs my cell phone began to ring. I still had service, which was a good sign due to the cell towers hadn't gone out. a sigh of relief came over me, and I turned to go upstairs Until I saw him.

Every bit of Courage or happiness I had summoned to turn away and retreat from this tomb had quickly vanished. I gasped in surprise, I went to scream in fear but my voice was sucked away from shock. I was facing the window, which was opposite from the stairs. There was a man, peeking in from outside, looking directly at me, only It wasn't a man. This thing looked as if it had been burnt in a fire. Its skin was charred and its eyes were hanging from their sockets, and its clothes were melted on to its skin. Even when I saw him, he made no indication that I had seem him. Almost like it didn't care, like it wanted to be seen. I had my back to the window for almost ten minutes, how long has this thing been watching me? He placed a hand on the window, I could hear the sound of his flesh tearing as he spreap his fingers on the glass. My skin began to crawl, and I felt like I was going to get skin. I began to back up towards the stairs when suddenly this creature that was mocking me began to smile. With one tap, he pushed the window in, and it came crashing to the ground, allowing an entrance to my home.

Quickly he began to crawl through the window, I turned and darted up the stairs. This things was cleary faster than I was, I had only just got to the second landing and I could already hear this thing following me up the stairs. Its bone cracking and readjusting upon every step. Hitting the walls as if he were unbalanced. I managed to make it to the top of the stairs, staggering in fear I turned to see him not running after me, but standing on the last landing facing up to me. Looking at me with horror in his eyes. He had something in his hand, something silver but I couldn't see it well in the dark. Suddenly he began to run up the stairs, I slammed the door closed. Fortunately our basement had a lock, I clicked it in and began to run. My first instinct was to run outside, but I knew in this weather, and the fact I didn't have time to put shoes on, this thing would not be too far behind me, id never make it.

I grabbed my cell phone and ran up the stairs to my room. That's when I heard the basement door shoot open, followed by his painfull footsteps. I managed to push my dresser infront of my door, although it being locked I felt like I was safe. I quickly turned on my phone, I had missed ten calls from my husband. Confused I opened my phone and quicly began to dial 911 when suddenly I got a text, from my husband. I opened it, and what I read almost made me throw up. At that point I knew what it was that he had in his hands, and I was screwed.

"No use hiding behind locked doors. I have the keys."