The Scarecrow

I lived in a small quiet town in England called Reedsville. Its the kind of place where everyone knows each other, even though everyone has their own individual secrets. Some are rapist, druggies, killers however many practice satanic worship, or witchcraft, sometimes even both. Of course people go missing all the time, but not as much until these practices have become a trend in our cozy and somewhat unstable town. Many believe that our town is cursed, plagued with these individuals who show up out of nowhere and take up residence, having a homestead built with a tall towers and beautiful gardens in days. There has been many raids on homes of the suspected witches and satanic priests, however they are never home, only until days later all who took part in the raids were found dead in their homes, so the people of Reedsville have put an end to any raids, and took the practice of black magic into their hands, all except me and my father.   

My father and I live on a farm, just away from the town and any markets. We were poor, for only it was me and him working the farm, with very little land to work on, which meant we didn't have much room to plant any crops. Even if we managed to grow a couple stocks of corn or carrots, they would eventually get eaten by the crow infestation. Since we were so poor, we couldn't afford to buy or build a scarecrow, we tried running around the fields ourselves, trying to ward off the crows, however they would just attack us. We asked volunteer to shoot guns into the air but the crows remained. Despite all our efforts we always turned up empty handed, and hungry. The mayor of the town has issued a property seize unless we paid our upkeep, which of course we couldn't, we were out of options, we were going to be homeless.

It was late at night, and I was just getting ready for bed, when my dad came into my room, the look on his face was lightened, happy and satisfied, I've never seen such a glow in his eyes always dark, sad, useless and depressed.

"Dad your smiling, what's up?"

he sat on my bed, and placed his hand on my lap, and just smiled, wrapping his arms around me, he bursted into tears.

"I've found a solution to our situation, we are going to be rich."

I pushed my father off, tears flung from my eyes,

"No way! are you serious?"

for a moment I couldn't believe what I was hearing, the once dark enviorment of my room, a single bed with only a dresser was filled with the emotion that could encourage a rivalry against the sins of our town, however it was only news not fact. I caught a glimpse of distress In my fathers face, but he was good at hiding it, though I kew there was a catch.

"How? dad how?"

"You don't need to worry, you'll have the life you deserve, get some sleep Erik, I love you so very much, so much it hurts to see you struggle to live everyday, I would do anything for you, good night.

He kissed my forehead and left me speechless a he closed the door behind him, leaving me more confused than happy.

The next day I woke up, and ran down staris, I ran into the living room to see it empty.

"Dad?"

I walked into the kitchen, also it was empty, it was the same old kitchen that I had known for years. Small table with three chairs, however only two would ever be filled. Small white fridge in the corner, that for an odd reason was open. I  walked up to it and pulled the handle, as soon as the door was half open food poured onto the floor, milk, eggs, chicken, bacon, anything anyone could possibly have to eat was in our fridge. My eyes watered, I sobbed. I was about to make bacon and eggs for breakfast but wanted my dad to see it first. I ran to the field that had been extended, atleast another one hundred acres, filled with all sorts of crops, and in the middle of it all was a scarecrow.

"Dad! where are you? dad!?"

I ran around the house twice, went into our cellar, went around the town asking everyone if they had seen him, but he was nowhere in sight. In fact no one has seen him for a week, nor me. They all say I was inside for a long time, never came out or did my daily run into town to buy what food we could afford, they thought the worst. I went back home, and sat on my porch and cried. it felt like hours I had been sitting there, until a shadow approached me, I shot my head up, hoping to see my dad, but no, it was an old women, in rags with grey hair and odd chains hanging around her neck.

"Can I help you?"

she looked my up and down and just nodded.

"I see why he did it, for you."

"Who are you? leave me alone."

The old women's faced hardened,

"is that anyway to treat the one who brought you wealth, and fortune?"

My heart raced,

"It was you? oh my thank you so much! but I don't understand, what did my dad do for you to give us all this stuff?"

"Sacrifice. he really loved you, Erik. Love was his fuel and you were hid ignition."

"Do you know where he his?"

"Of course, he's working, in the field."

I got up and ran  into the field, leaves hitting me In the face, bugs flying in my mouth.

"dad! where are you?!" 

I ran for about ten minutes until finally I came into a small opening where there was no crops, only dirt, and the scarecrow. I looked around, I couldn't see my house from here, but I could see the crops moving, someone was coming. I stood in fear until I saw her again, the old hag smiling as she poked her head out between to corn stocks. She began to laugh and awful laugh, tears filled my eyes again,

"Where is he!?"

"Oh my dear boy, he's right behind you."

she began to laugh louder,  I turned around, and looked up, all I could see was the scarecrow looking down at me, only it wasn't a scarecrow, it was my father, and he was dead.