The Man Who Hides

My daughter keeps coming to me about this dream she has every night about this man, she told me he follows her where ever she goes. He doesn't talk to her at all, just watches and observes from a far, as if he is trying not to be noticed. She told me he's tall and wears black slacks and a white muscle shirt, his skin is pale and his eyes are pure black, he's bald and stands straight up. When she looks at him he smiles, not saying anything or doing anything. But when she looks away she said he sometimes moves closer to her, when he finally reaches her she wakes up. I don't know if it was her wild imagination or some book she read of something, until that one day. I was driving her to school around 7:49 in the morning, I had a movie playing for her cause her school is a 30 minute drive away, so we left roughly around 7:00 to beat traffic, unfortunately we got stuck in the morning rush hour, so to pass time I put on "Frozen" her favorite Disney movie. She was quite for a bit, once in a blue moon she would giggle and say "I love you Olaf!" But she was only a child, I would just chuckle and continue on looking at the road. Until finally she said "daddy why did you let this man in the car?" Not fully understanding what she had said I replied "what man? There no man beside me?" For a second it went quite then she spoke "no the man next to me, the one who follows me in my dreams." Without thinking I faced the backseat to see the intruder, there was no one except my daughter staring idly at me, "dad back up his face is right near yours" my heart leaped out of my throat and I jolted back quickly, "sweetie there's no one there, it's just your imagination." Honestly I believed her, I just didn't want to. After a long hour drive we managed to get her school just in time, the bell rang as soon as we got there, I said my goodbyes and kissed her, she stared me in the eyes, she almost looked scared, the she turned and ran though the open door to her classroom. So I drove away. On the ride home I decided to grab a coffee from tims, wasting about 5 minutes isn't bad. I was pulling out of my stall I had parked in, when I turned to see if any cars were behind, there was a man standing just behind the car, no doubt he was facing me. I honked the horn several times but he didn't move, irritated I got out to face him, but as soon as I drew closer I felt like I knew him, he looked familiar. As soon as I came to the conclusion of who he was, he smiled still not moving. I quickly jumped in my car, regardless of the man standing behind me, I backed up, forcing his body underneath the 3 ton machine and sped off, racing down a the road to get home. Once in a while I looked back just in case I was being followed by the police or anything, paranoid as hell I was. When I got home I poured myself a tall glass of whiskey, I guzzled it down and poured another, then sat at the kitchen table, thinking about that man. Was he real? Does he walk around my home, stalking my little girl? Or was it the stress of the traffic pulling me into my daughter head? I assure my self I'm just stressed and tired and convince my self to take a nap. But am diverted by a a loud bang come down from the hall, instantly I stood up, grabbing the nearest thing to me, in this case my whiskey bottle, I walked down the narrow hall, cautiously checking my surroundings, then it came again, hitting hard against the door at the end of the hallway, the one i was facing directly, I stopped for a second, "that's the basement" I rejected the idea of opening it, but I also couldn't resist. Slowly I crept down closer to the door until my hand was just in reach of the brass handle, I grabbed it gently an swung the door open. I was greeted my pure darkness, I quickly flicked the light on, and I saw the familiar basement I've known for a while, i slowly walked down the wooden stairs, creaking every step. Soon as my foot hit the cold cement floor, I regretted my decision, just before I was about to head back I noticed something behind the furnace, something that wasn't meant to be noticed, it was a face, the face of the man I had hit earlier that day, this time his teeth were showing all bloody and broken, his head was cracked and blood oozed out his nose onto the pavement. I was frozen in fear, he then shifted out from behind the tight furnace never letting my gaze go, I turned to run up the stairs, the door slammed I climbed the stairs, blood coursing my veins faster than ever, my heart beating rarely super sonic, I could hear his bare feet clap the floor as he came closer, the door was locked and I was trapped, this is it, I thought to my self, this thing is gonna kill me. I turned to see him at he foot of the stairs, smiling up at me, suddenly he leaned over, placing both hands on the step above where his feet were, still staring at me, smiling he began to crawl up toward me, saying as if it were a rhyme "no matter where you are, no matter how far, I will hide, watching from the side, then I will come closer and closer, then I'll stop like a poster, until finally I will grab your little girl, and spin in a whirl, I'll dance and prance and sing this happy song! For in the one, the man who hides." Then the door flung open behind me, I fell hard on my back, I was expecting my legs to get grabbed and to be pulled to my demise, but no, he was gone. 5 years later as I write this now I haven't seen this man, I also didn't see my daughter the same day I picked her up from school.