Chapter 33

"Katie wait!"

My dramatic exit from Lamar's office was interrupted by Derek.

My weight fell on my heel as I turned.

There he was. Six feet tall and completely gorgeous was my, now-official, ex-husband.

He caught my arm to keep me from running away, which I feared I would if I had to look into his eyes for a second longer.

"What's the matter with you, huh? This is not the you I remember." He said, as his brows furrowed in concern.

I scoffed, "Well that makes two of us."

He drew his hand away from me, hurt, "Fine. You want to be moody and unapproachable then go do it. We're done anyway."

I swallowed the lump of stinging tears that formed at his cruel words, "Don't make this my fault."

He looked at me wearily, "You cheated on me."

"You killed my brother! And after I forgave you, you teamed up with the enemy and forced us to get married!" I shot back.

He flinched and then pinched his nose with his thumb and index finger, "I thought we were past your brother. I'm truly sorry about that, I know it doesn't help matters but it was my stupid mistake that it happened and I'm sorry I can't take it back."

He took a breath and continued, "I knew you hated her but all I wanted was for us to have another shot together. After I left you back when we were 17, I never thought you'd forgive me so I made a deal with her. She helped me with something in exchange for you splitting with Josh."

"But even when I found out, you didn't take back your sick joke." I spat.

"I didn't plan to continue it with her."

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah right."

"If you don't believe that I did it because I loved you then I don't know what to tell you." Derek said, leaving me with his last words.

------------------------------------------------------------

"Derek?" I whispered.

He had grabbed me and pulled me under a nearby table. In the short distance in front of us were the bottles that had broken.

"What's going on? Why are we under a table?" I questioned in a tone above a whisper as I struggled to get up.

Derek dragged me back down, "Don't speak so loudly. You'll attract attention."

My brows scrunched together in confusion, "Attract attention? From who?"

Derek paused and listened as a pair of footsteps stormed around in the living room in front of us.

"My dad."

Even though he'd tried to mask it, I could hear the hesitation in every syllable that he spoke. The fear in his voice was not lost to my ears when he'd said 'dad'.

"What's he doing?" I asked.

"Drinking." Derek said quietly, "He always drinks."

A thunderous sound made me jump as another few bottles were smashed into the hardwood flooring. There was a terrible angry growl before Derek's father started screaming for him.

"DEREK! WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU?"

A cold shudder passed through my body as I listened. His father cursed multiple times before knocking down a few chairs in his blind rage.

Beside me, Derek had frozen in place. Fear had crept into my body as I struggled to focus on which way was the quickest way to get the hell out of there.

"Derek," I nudged him out of his trance, "We have to leave."