Chapter 25

I stared at the phone in his hand and, as if on instinct, swiped out my hand to snatch it from him.

Of course, he already knew that I'd do that and pulled it away just in time.

My jaw tightened angrily, "Josh you can't do this!"

"Why not? So you can continue to sleep with Derek for the rest of your life without even giving me a chance?" He lifted his chin in determination, "No, I can't just sit here and let that happen!"

"So your planning on ruining my marriage instead?" I countered.

He didn't even fumble at my words, staring at me with an intensity that confirmed his true intentions.

I threw up my hands in frustration, wishing that I could wring his neck instead. Anything to shake some sense into him.

"Why don't you understand that I love him!"

"You just think that you love him," Josh said, the determination in his eyes growing fiercer.

God. Didn't he get it? I didn't want him. Didn't want to be with him. And never again would I want to.

The jangling of keys at my doorway and the muffled voices behind it caught my attention. Panic was flooding my veins at hyper speed.
My gaze swung frantically back to Josh, still holding his phone in his hand.

"Give it to me!" I half-shouted, trying to mask my anger with a hushed tone so Derek couldn't hear.

Josh looked between me, the door and then back to me, disgust all over his face. He shook his head at my suggestion and gave me a look that made me feel like I was acting crazy, instead of trying to salvage my marriage.

He's going to ruin this for me.

He's going to wreck everything.

As the lock turned on the door, the sound reverberated through my bones and made me jump into action.

"You have to hide!" I said frantically, searching the room left and right for a good place that Derek couldn't notice.

Josh stared at me like I had two heads and then narrowed his eyes in a nasty glare. Apparently, he didn't like that suggestion either.

"I'm going to tell him." Josh said stubbornly.

The fire in my veins turned to ice.

Flashes of Derek's heartbroken face popped into my head when he realized that I had cheated on him. Right after we had consummated our marriage too.

"You can't!"

My fingers were trembling and I was shaking. My eyes were getting blurry with tears. The thought of losing Derek forever spinning on fast forward in my mind like a bad dream.

"I can. And I'm going to get you back." He said, unfazed by my desperation.

I crumpled backwards, shrinking away at the nightmare I knew would unfold in a matter of seconds and hoped that I could wake up from this horrible dream.

I covered my eyes, not wanting to see the anger on Derek's face just as my front door swung open. There was a deep, ebbing silence and nobody said anything. Maybe my prayers were answered. Maybe it was all just a bad-

"Evelyn?" Josh asked, incredulously.

Evelyn?

My eyelids snapped open to reveal shimmery, brown haired Evelyn gawking at Josh. Her gaze slid over him, like she didn't believe what she's seeing.