Twelve : Liar

I shakily managed to grab the fork before reaching for the knife with my right hand.

It took everything I had to not look back up at him.

There was this annoying feeling that gnawed at my conscience telling me to look up, almost like an instinctive need that I refused to submit to.

And I don't know if I was imagining it or not but I could feel his breath flutter the hair at the crown of my head. His every inhale and exhale brushed against my temple as if he was leaning downwards towards me, causing a shadow to cast on my face when he blocked the light with his body.

It didn't look like he was going to move away anytime soon so I ended up obeying the call of impulse and tipped my head back.

I originally wanted to glare at him but just seeing his face made me recoil into myself. All I really wanted to do was scratch his eyeballs out and flee like a frightened animal but that was not probable.

From this angle, he looked much taller and scarier, yet I couldn't get myself to look away and I had no clue why.

"What is your name?" Eros asked me. I was actually tempted to just let him wait it out before finding out that I will never tell him.

That icy look on his face made me decide otherwise though.

"Asuka," I blurted out after choking on my spit.

The stern look he gave made me verbally vomit again. I have no idea why I gave him my co-workers name instead of my own.

Before I could even think to correct myself, his long fingers gripped my chin with a slightly tense hold until my head was angled upwards to stare him directly in the eye.

I vaguely noted that his hands were very warm and that there was a strange tingling sensation that remained on my flesh from where we touched.

Just at the notion of what that could mean, my heart had sped up to an abnormally fast pace.

The fork in my hand clinked against the porcelain plate when I dropped it to grab his hand in case his claws decide to sink into my flesh.

I don't want to bleed out at the dinner table.

"I can smell your lie." The animalistic glint in his eye made my stomach churn uneasily.

I knew from research that with their enhanced hearing, werewolves are the closest possible living version of the lie detector. They can hear the change in heart rate and smell the acrid scent of nervousness and sweat that is expelled when a person is lying, no matter how good of a liar they are.

The urge to tell him to shove it was quickly swallowed down with the rest of my pride since I really didn't want to deal with the consequences.

Terrified would not even describe how I feel right now and I couldn't help but reprimand myself.

What was I thinking?

"I do not take well to being lied to, especially not from you. Now tell me your name," he said with a slight furrowing of his brows.

I guess there won't be any lying for a while. Not when there's a lie detector everywhere.

"Emi," I muttered, pushing a lock of hair from my face to notice that a chunk of the foundation had dried on it. "It's not a lie. My name is really Emi, short for Emira,"

Eros strong grip on my chin finally loosened. His long tapered fingers glided across my cheek, stroking across the surface lightly and became stuck.