Chapter Twenty-three

Margaret

"Happy birthday, Meg!" Mom said, shaking me to wake me up.

I groaned. "I'm trying to sleep."

"Don't be a grouch. Today's your birthday!"

And it's been three months since Vin stopped talking to me.

"Fine, I'm getting up," I said, holding my stomach as I got up. Even though I'm pregnant and I've gotten quite used to it, Vin hasn't made a move to talk to me again. He's been watching me from afar, but he hasn't tried to contact me.

Three months without talking.

All because he's 'scared'.

Yeah. I was too, but I learned how to deal with it. I know some of the basics about raising a child thanks to Mom. She's been with me through thick and thin this whole time. For that, I can never repay her.

Vin is just a coward.

I used the bathroom after I got out of bed, then washed my hands before walking downstairs.

"Woah, Mom, what's all this?" I said, taking in the big breakfast.

There were jelly roles, bread and butter, juice and milk. There was even little pies. It looked - and smelled - like Heaven.

 It looked - and smelled - like Heaven

"It's breakfast. I know how hungry you are in the morning, so I made this for you." Mom smiled at me before sitting down.

I walked over and sat down next to her. "Thanks, Mom, but I'm not going to eat all of this by myself."

"I'm going to eat this with you," she said.

That's exactly what we did, too.

When we were done, I was still hungry, surprisingly. I got a bowl of cereal and ate that while helping Mom wash the dishes.

"It's a pregnancy thing," Mom said. "I was always hungry when I was pregnant with you."

I finished my cereal before washing the bowl and spoon. "Well, I'm not hungry now. Not anymore at least," I said, laughing afterwards.

A thought came to my head.

I'm officially eighteen now.

Although Vincent turned eighteen a month ago, he didn't answer when I called so I gave up. I haven't tried contacting him since. If he won't make the first move, I'll move on.

"Can I go for a walk, Mom? It's feeling a bit stuffy in here," I said.

"Yes, you can. Want me to come with?"

"If you want," I said. "I don't mind a bit of company."

I went upstairs and brushed my teeth before putting on an outfit that got from Janet for Christmas. Although the clothes fit, I would have to start buying a bit of maternity clothes. The clothes I have now are getting a bit too tight.

I threw on a baggy sweater over my clothes so no one would see the baby bump. Even though I'm eighteen and I'm technically of age, I still wanted to hide it. Since I've been hiding it for a little bit, I just figured I'd keep hiding it.

I headed downstairs and met Mom at the front door. "So, where do you wanna walk to?" I said.

"How about to the school and back?"

I nodded. "It's Saturday, Mom. I don't have to go to school on a Saturday," I teased. "We can go there. It's okay."

We walked all the way to the school and as we turned to walk back, Mom stopped suddenly.

"What wrong?" I asked.

"I forgot I have to get some groceries for dinner. Can you wait here while I get them?" she said.

I nodded with a smile. "Yeah! Can you pick me up a couple bags of ruffles?"

"Cheddar and sour cream?"

"You know me so well. They're my favorite chips of all time," I said.

"I know. You eat a lot of them," she said, rolling her eyes.

"Thanks, Mom! I love you!" I said as she started walking away.

"You too, you little rascal," she shouted back.

I pulled out my phone and started to play a game when someone clapped slowly behind me. I turned around to see who it was and saw a girl with red hair.

"Who are you?" I asked, blocking my stomach with my arm.

She smirked. "You don't know me? All the better," she said. She looked at something behind me a motioned for them to come close. Before I could turn around, someone had kicked me in the lower back.

I fell to the ground and groaned in pain. "Please, don't. I'm pregnant," I said, protecting my stomach with my arms.

The girl scowled. "I know. That's the reason for this. I can't stand the fact that you're carrying my boyfriends kid. I don't know why he'd choose you instead of me. I mean, look at you. You're uglier than sin," she said, anger showing in her features.

I stared at her in confusion. "Patricia?" I asked.

The girl smirked. "Ding ding ding! We have a winner!"

"Why are you doing this?" I said.

She bent down and got in my face. "Why? He's having a baby with you. Not me. He's treating you like a man should. He never treated me like that. This, sweetheart, is revenge."

She signaled to her partner and stood up. "You deserve all of this," she sneered.

Her partner began beating me up. Punching, kicking, slapping. All I could think through the whole thing was please, please make it baby.

"Hey! What are you doing!" someone yelled.

I looked up and saw Patricia whisper something to her partner before her partner kicked me as hard as he could in my stomach. I clutched my stomach in pain and looked up at my attacker.

Although my vision was blurred with tears, I could see who did it.

Grey.

That asshole.

They ran away a couple seconds later. Someone knelt down beside me and brushed my hair out of my face.

"Mom?" I said, my voice hoarse.

"Yes, baby. It's me," she said, kissing my forehead. She turned to the street and started yelling, "Help! Please someone help! My daughters been beaten!"

My eyes started closing on their own accord, and I tried my best to stay awake.
Please make it, baby. Please, was my last thought before I blacked out.

***

This chapter is ehh.

I'm not good at action scenes, so I'm not sure if that was good, but whatevs.

What do you think will happen?

4th chapter today! I'm on a roll!

~ Phoebe