Chapter Fourteen

Corny

I groaned in annoyance as my alarm went off, signaling that it was time to go to school. Usually I would smack the alarm and sleep some more, but today I had Mom waking me up.

She did finally leave the hospital, saying 'it smelled like stale feet'. I was happy to have her home, as was Jace. She had a cast on her arm from when Dad broke it. She said she was fine now, but it's hard to believe when her eyes show the pain through her smile.

"Come on, Vincent. It's time to get up for school," Mom said, ripping the blankets off of my body.

"OK, Mom. I'll be down in twenty minutes," I said, snuggling back into my bed.

"No. Get ready now or I'll take away all your snacks for the rest of the week."

I jumped out of bed. "I'm up, ma'am. What'll the day hold for us, ma'am?" I said. I couldn't go a couple hours without food; how will I go a week?

"School. Now, get ready before your little girlfriend leaves," Mom said, turning around and walking down the stairs. I quickly threw on a grey muscle shirt and black sweats, because I was feeling lazy today. I walked down the stairs and saw Mom trying to get breakfast ready.

"Mom, stop trying to use that arm. Let me grab everything," I said, taking the things from her hands.

"You are such a nice boy. So different from your father," she said with a sad smile.

"He's not my father. I don't even like calling him Dad anymore," I said. I turned around and set the table. Jace walked out of his room with sleepy eyes.

"'Morning."

"How you doing, little man?" I said, ruffling his hair.

"Tired, bro." He sat down at the table and rested his head on the table. He was dressed in a white t-shirt and black shorts.

"Lazy day, huh?" I said to him.

"Yeah."

"Come on, boys, do you see me moping around like a zombie?" Mom teased.

"No," I said.

"Exactly. You should be used to it. You've been getting up this early for school for your whole life," she said. We ate our breakfast with a bit of chatter every now and then. After we all finished, I helped Mom do the dishes and then Jace and I left for school.

It looked like it was going to snow today, so I took Mom's car. She said she wasn't going to be needing it for a while because of her arm. So, I drove to school and saw Meg there already waiting by the doors. When she saw me she gave me a small smile and a wave which I returned.

"Gosh you guys are so disgusting," Jace said before getting out of the car. He walked into the school as I parked the car. Then, I got out of the car and locked it before meeting up with Meg.

"How's your morning?" she asked.

"Good. I'm tired, though," I said, resting my head on her shoulder.

"You're warm," she said. "I'm cold."

"It's only the middle of November. How can you be cold?" I said, wrapping my arms around her waist. She had her arms tucked in between our chests.

"How are you not cold?" she said.

"I came from Duluth. We lived near Lake Superior. When it gets windy and starts getting cold, the lake makes it a bit colder than usual, so I'm used to it," I said.

"You're crazy," she said.

"Crazy for you, Meg."

"...I have nothing to say to that," she said.

"Let's just go to class," I said.

***
Margaret (Probably the only P.O.V switch in the middle of a chapter.)

As I walked to lunch, I was pulled to the side and once again, I met face to face with Noah Park.

"Uh...Hi," I said, not knowing what else to say.

"I really have to tell you something. I wasn't able to tell you because your friend is always near you. Corny, is it?"

I nodded. "What is it?"

He took a deep breath and ran a hand through his hair. "I...I think I like you," he said.

Woah.

I did not expect that.

"W-well...How do you know it's not feelings for Megan that you're confusing with me?" I said. He could not like me- the nobody of the eleventh grade. Basically the whole school! Him and Megan are supposed to be together.

"I know. It's in here," he said, pointing to his heart. "Not here." He pointed to his head this time.

"I'm sorry, Noah. I have a boyfriend and you're dating Megan," I said. I felt really bad for him.

"I broke up with her. I can't date someone I don't like or love. I just can't," he said, his eyes pleading.

"I'm sorry," I said. "There's no way it can happen."

Noah sighed. "Is it Corny?"

"Yeah."

"Man, he's a lucky guy," he said. "Hope you're happy with him."

"I am. Again, I'm really sorry," I said.

He shook his head with a sad smile before walking away.

The rest of the day went by faster than I expected. At the end of the day, Vin and I went to our locker - that we now share - and we got everything we needed before walking out the door. Then, once again, I was pulled to the side.

"Can I talk to you?" she said.

"Um...Yeah, sure. What about?" I said.

"I'm really sorry. I didn't know you were that badly allergic. I thought you would get a few hives or something. I didn't know you would...die. I- I just feel so horrible about it. Is there any way you can forgive me?" Megan said, wiping tears from her eyes.

Huh. Surprising.

"I don't know...You knew and you still put peanuts in the brownies. Even if I try to forgive you right now, I don't think I can. You'll have to make it up to me."

"I will. Anything it takes. I'm really sorry!" she said.

"I'll see you later," I said. She waved to me as I walked away.

This day got weirder and weirder, huh?
***

This chapter is iffy.

Tell me what you think in the comments.

I don't think there will be much plot twists anymore except one that's coming up. It's gonna be big, but not really big.

<3 you guys!