Chapter Twelve: Two Steps Forward, Too Many Steps Backward

Start from the beginning

"I approve. Keep him, Quincy."

I raised an eyebrow at Chloe, before glancing at Reed. But he either didn't hear the comment or chose to ignore it. Probably didn't hear it, knowing him.

After another minute, Reed had paid for our food and we sat down at a table to wait for it. I only had about twenty five minutes left, but I was going to make the most of this time with Reed, especially because he came to me.

Once we got our food, he started talking, with his mouth full, of course. "So you told that girl that I asked you out?"

I nodded slowly. "I'm sorry if you didn't want anyone to know. Chloe's my best friend. I couldn't not tell her, you know?"

"Oh. Yeah, sure."

After a brief moment of awkwardness that hung between us, we started chatting a bit. Not about anything in particular, I guess. Just getting to know the other person kind of stuff. Of course, we avoided topics of parents. I knew I didn't want to discuss their deaths, so I wasn't about to bring up his parents either, in case the conversation came back around to mine. He never brought them up either, for whatever his reasoning was.

"I have to go back to work," I said, sadly, noticing the time on his phone that was laying on the table. I only had a couple minutes left of my break.

Reed looked kinda upset. "When do you get off for the day?"

"In two and a half hours."

He nodded. "I'll come back then. Is that alright?"

I smiled. "Of course. I'd love to hang out with you tonight. You know, since we're dating and all that."

"Yeah. I guess we are, aren't we?"

"Well you did ask me out. And I did said yes." He nodded as I checked the time on his phone again. I had one minute before I needed to be back. "I really need to go. But I'll see you later."

"Bye."

I knew not to expect him to kiss me goodbye. He didn't even kiss me when he got here. So I just headed to the back to retrieve my apron.

When I came back to the front, Reed was still there, however. Clocking back in, he walked over to my register and stood in front of it.

I smiled. "How can I help you today?" I asked, holding back a laugh.

"I think I forgot something."

"Oh?"

He didn't reply, verbally, at least. Instead, he leaned forward and planted his lips on mine. It was a quick kiss, because obviously we couldn't get fully into it, with the counter and register separating us, and the fact that I'm technically working.

When he stepped back, I couldn't help the wide smile that formed on my face. He actually kissed me. In public. Maybe we were making faster progress than I had thought.

"Bye Quincy," Reed said, actually backing up towards the door this time. I gave him a small wave, not able to form words right now.

"I didn't know this was that kind of place," a man said, stepping up to my register. "That was absolutely disgusting, and now you expect me to let you get my food for me?"

Now, this wasn't the first time I've had negative words thrown my way, and I usually have a whole spiel that I'll say about how people are people, no matter who they love. But I didn't get a chance to say any of that because Reed obviously had a change of heart about the whole thing. Before I knew it, Reed had stalked back over and punched the man straight in the face.