Chapter 9: Big Betty

Comenzar desde el principio

"Trial by combat and experience. Both parties will go through the same regimen and will be held accountable. The rest will fall in there. I know it may not seem much but it does go a long way. Put that along with appreciation, and this could work out very well," The others looked towards him and tilted their heads as if to say 'That's it?'. "There are no perfect armies. There will always be conflict even within allies but the best we can do is to try and create harmony from the discord that is inside all of us."

Athena's look immediately changed as the words left his lips. "Good to see you again cap." Her accent and tone changed completely from a slightly Elven accent to an Irish brogue. Her grin was a bit unnerving for everyone besides Eclipse and Kovac. She quickly moved over and signed her name onto the parchment. It glowed bright red and disappeared and a pop-up appeared on all their HUDs.

"Welcome to The Fifth Legion. Please select a motto for your Guild."

Kovac smirked and looked at Eclipse who immediately resorted to whacking him with her bow.

"NO NO NO!!!!"

"THROUGH THE FIRE AND THE FLAMES WE CARRY ON!"

"Motto recorded and saved. The Fifth Legion has been established as a fighting force loyal to the Valerian King, Nagash Rosler."

"Is that everything you need?" The young elven lady tilted her head and kept her quill ready.

"Yes. I would like to make a request. Kovac I want you to bear the name Dathira. The other Royal Line that fell three Centuries ago. They were known as War Leaders and kept this Empire alive through some of it's bloodiest times. I'd like someone to bear that name once more." The old king walked over and placed his hand on his shoulder.

"A soldier like me  can't say no to the King while in his halls. Change my name to Kovac Dathira. The Fifth Legion will burn the shadows in our midst." Kovac looked towards the elven lady

"Thank you Kovac." Nagash nodded to him, a weight seemingly lifted off his shoulders.

"It is done. My king there are Summoned outside who have asked for my aid. Shall I suggest this Guild first?" Mercy stood up packing up her ledger.

"Aye. Kovac, you're coming with me. Dunn, would you please gather the others?."

Dunn split away running towards the barracks while the rest of the group went out into the courtyard. It took about half an hour for all the Valerians to assemble. The tired soldiers formed their ranks looking weary but stood at attention watching the Summoned with their hands on the grips of their spears and swords.

"Alright, you have a choice. Valerium has a new army getting ready to conquer these lands once more. Now there's 239 of you, 20 of you are still injured and the other 11 are being drafted into the Royal Guard. You served under this stranger, who is now the lone heir to House Dathira. You have a choice to return to your former legions or serve him, with The Fifth Legion. Your task will be to strike down our enemies and recapture the territory that we lost. Northern Drakase used to be our kingdom. It is your choice to defend our last bastion in these lands," Soulkeeper gestured around to the walls around them. "or venture out."

The soldiers conversed for a few moments before they separated. One group gave the King a bow and returned to their legions while the other group started to sign with Mercy. The Summoned, hearing this speech turned to Kovac who was finally visible to them. A few gasped and ran over to the line, joining the soldiers. That made up for about 30 of the Summoned.

"Fighters aren't all we need. Hunters, Blacksmiths, all trades would be useful to our cause. We don't know what kind of operations we would be running. Think about it, you have.." Kovac looked at the group signing with Mercy. There was around 110 Valerians and the 30-ish players. "140..maybe.. other people to go out into the world. You could still form parties to go Dungeon-diving. Plus think about all the free gear you can get." With a grin he finished as about 13 more non-fighter types joined the line.