11

I finished cooking dinner and rolled up my sleeves and unbuttoned the top of my shirt. Ilse had been sleeping for an hour and a half. During that time I had taken off the makeup she had done so well and made us dinner. She stirred on the couch as I quickly sat by the open window and pulled out a cigarette.

          Muttering some words, I lit it.

Don't let the sun blast your shadow
Don't let the milk float ride your mind
You're so natural, religiously unkind...

            I stopped, took a drag, and looked at Ilse. She looked so comfortable I hated to wake her, but dinner was getting cold.

          "Ilse." I whispered in her ear.

          "David," She replied sleepily. "You have a nice voice." She turned over and smiled up at me. God, she was beautiful.

          "Thank you Ils." I murmured back. She sat up and rubbed her hair.

          "What did you make. She asked sniffing the air. I smirked at her.

          "You'll see." Her eyes lit up as she took my hand to pull me down beside her.

          "Can I have a cigarette?" She asked nodding her head to the one I held off to the side.

         "You can just have mine." I said, placing it between here teeth.

          "Thank you" she said, taking it between her fingers. And then "I don't smoke." She burst out laughing, blowing smoke from her nose.

          I laughed with her before getting up to set the table. My mind wandered for a while about our trip before I felt a small pair of hands run through my hair. I moaned and turned around to see Ilse grinning at me. "Oh you." I chuckled, pulling out a chair for her across from mine.

          She sat down gracefully and cleared her throat. "Um David?"

          "Hmm?" I mumbled. She looked at me shyly.

           "I'm going to drop out and find a job." She spat out. I almost choked.

          "Well..." I coughed "whatever you want to do. You could always move in with me." She turned bright red and ran a hand through her hair. I didn't necessarily agree with her for dropping out, but whatever she wanted to do was not a problem.

          "You could join my band and come on tour." I suggested. She looked up and gave me a little smile. "You're a good player, we could use you."

          "I think that would be wonderful." She smirked.