4

I returned to my apartment and threw my coat on the couch. Damn it, damn it, damn it! I was thinking. I was polite the whole night. What happened? She invited me in and I totally shut down. What was I afraid of? Out of all the girls I dated, I never felt this way before.

          While we were out dancing I slipped my number into her sweater before helping her I to it, I remembered. I paced around my apartment, hoping that she would call me or text me or something. She didn't.

***

          I packed up my saxophone and music and headed to school. Even though it was Sunday, I liked to practice in the music room since my instrument was loud and I hated to disturb the neighbors. I played and played until my lips were numb, and then played some more. There was a cough from behind me.

          She took in a deep breath like she was going to say something but decided against it. I could feel the heat creeping up my cheeks. "Ilse?" I asked. I knew it was her. I turned around and put my Sax on top of the case. "Ilse." I said, not a question this time. She smiled and ran to me. She threw her arms around my neck and I wrapped my arms around her back. "David," She laughed. "I think I really really like you. There's something about you. I wanted to call you last night and I could barely fall asleep." I looked down at her and gave her a smile. Not fake but real.

          "Really?" I asked, blushing and laughing at the same time.

          "I know we only met yesterday. This might be silly, but yes, really." She sighed and put her head back on my shoulder. We stood there for about three minutes before I let go and lead her to the seats in front of where I was practicing. She sat down and I walked over to where I put my Saxophone. Picking it up and turning around I raised my eyebrows at her. She answered by clapping.

          So I started to play, trying not to mess up. My mind wandered as I played. I wanted to take her on a second date, not dancing but somewhere fancy. But not today, I would seem clingy. Maybe tomorrow? The song ended and she clapped. I bowed and said "I can sing too, wanna hear?" I laughed and so did she.

          "I better get going. I have a lot of work to do." She said looking away. She hugged me again and I walked her to the door. She waved as she turned down the hallway. I sighed, and closed my eyes. Wow, I thought. Wow.