Chapter 1: Searching for Answers

Guardian: (n) Celestial creature of supernatural power and descent; child of the stars; protector of land and sky of Braskey and the other lands; Extinct*

The last known guardian left this earth during the Year of the Change, when our great king, Bainon Tremaine, cut down the tyranny of his brother, King Tarvril Tremaine, and ushered Braskey into the Age of Contentment.

The Guardians, sworn to protect their king at all costs, were slain by the Sorceress Narissa--King Bainon's trusted right hand. Both King and his Sorceress Queen regretted the loss, but couldn't find any other option.

*Rumors circulate of Guardians escaping to the stars before the destruction of the species. No evidence has been found to confirm or deny the assertion, though many in Osha during the coup were recorded as seeing lights ascend to the sky.

Without Guardians, Braskey embraces its own defense through the Army of the King, led by--

Phoenix slammed the oversized tome shut and a puff of dust fluttered up. Letting out a huff of frustration, Phoenix glanced around at the many books scattered on the ground around her. The candle at her side flickered, threatening to extinguish. 

Throwing the weighty book aside, Phoenix plucked up another, flipping to the section on Guardians.

Guardians: a mythical--

"No." Phoenix closed that book, too, chucking it over her shoulder. Guardians? Mythical? How foolish can you be?

The dank cellar she sat in sank below the earth, and her breath hung about her in the frigid air. Not that she felt it. Phoenix didn't know the meaning of the word "cold." Sturdy shelves lined the earthen walls, filled with books the mayor of her little town had deemed too dangerous for public consumption. He'd dug this cellar to house them beneath his own home, locked away from the world--except for the small window cut into the far wall.

Phoenix snorted. He hadn't dug the room. He'd paid others to dig it for him. With a sigh, she rubbed her tired eyes, wondering how long she'd been down here. It was her third night sneaking in to search through the books for anything on her kind, but so far they all said the same thing.

What's dangerous about these? If the Guardians are thought to be dead or vanished, why keep them from the public?

A creaking noise in the dark corner of the room stilled her, and she pushed up into a crouch. There were stairs leading up to the mayor's home, but they were covered in dirt and dust--never used. Would this be the night that changed?

"Hey."

Phoenix jumped, turning to lash out at the owner of the voice behind her. He caught her hand, stopping her full force punch. Only one person in Treywick could be strong enough to do that.

"Maverick? What the hells! You scared me half to end." 

Her adoptive brother chuckled, brushing a few strands of shaggy brown hair away from his face. "What am I doing? What are you doing, Lain? If you get caught down here, the Leyera family will--"

"Never catch me. They sleep like tarahks--not a thing can wake them." She mentally laughed at her own little insult. Mayor Leyera and his family--especially his daughter Aundreya--weren't her favorites.

"Let Aundreya hear you liken her to those snout-nosed tree imps and see if she doesn't make your life worse than she already has." Maverick grabbed her by the scruff of her dress, lifting her off the ground with ease. "You know she has the gift of deception."

"And I have the gift of truth." Phoenix wriggled in his grasp. He had the gift of strength. 

"When she speaks, they forget your gift. If you aren't there to defend yourself--"