22 | reunited

GREY

Redemption.

Something I've never thought of getting back until my recent comeback. Once the news that Xander had been taken reached me, my heart skipped a beat. I felt such a mix of emotions and wanted to scream them away.

Apparently, Society was in havoc trying to find him since Pierre jammed their tracking system. That is until I was released from Solitary Confinement and helped with the mission plan.

I had to admit I did miss the rush of adrenaline being back in the field. My skill and strategy have only increased. I mean, spending almost two months in a jail cell you're bound to do something to pass the time than talk to the wall.

So I trained.

Xander is on bedrest due to his severe injuries. I go to visit him every few days to keep him company. Most of the time, we play my favorite card game Speed.

He's never heard of the game, so I taught him. Now I can't beat him. Not once. He's never even heard of the game until I showed him and he's beaten me every freakin' time.

"Rey it's your turn."

Violet, Jett and I are laid on the pink fluffy carpet of Violet's room playing Monopoly. Can't win this game either. Violet always takes the crown on this one. After I finished my turn, it was Violet's turn.

She rolled the dice and moved her game piece, "Yay, I'm buying Park Place!"

Jett and I groaned simultaneously, which only made Vi giggle harder. I was enjoying myself, we haven't all been together in a long time.

The door then opened to Vera, "Your time is up."

Violet's smile subsided as Jett and I got up. I hate that she's cooped up in her room all day. You can't stuff a kid in a room and bribe them with their favorite toys and expect them to be genuinely happy. That's why I'm getting us out of here. Violet's life isn't going to be tainted by Society.

Not a word was said as Jett and I passed Vera. Unusual for me. But I didn't have the energy to pick a fight with her right now.

"What are you gonna do now?" I asked Jett as we walked the long white hallway.

He shrugged, "Maybe I'll go for a swim or somethin', you?"

"I think I'm gonna see how Xander is doing," I decided. I haven't seen Grant in a while and I'm hoping that tonight we can meet up in our layer. So we could address the things that've happened while I was gone.

"Is he getting better?"

"I've heard the doctor say he's recovering well."

Jett nodded. Once we made it up to the Residence Hall, we went our separate ways. Xander's door is often unlocked as to he can barely walk to answer the door. I knocked as I opened the door slowly.

"Come in."

I walked in to see him sitting erect in his bed, shirtless. His black duvet pulled up to his waist. He looks more and more like himself every visit. A small white bandage covered a cut just above his eyebrow. The blueish bruises on his stomach were fading.

"How ya feelin'?"

"A little less dead," He shrugged casually.

"Hm," I nodded, walking to his night stand. I grabbed the deck of cards and held them up.

"You up for a game?"

He gave me a crooked smile, "You up for being beat?"

*

2:34 AM

I waltzed into Grant and I's secret layer, "So tell me what I've missed while I was in Vera's little prison."

Grant looked up from his laptop and got up from his chair with a smile. Once I came closer, he wrapped his arms around me in a tight embrace. I missed him. Out of this whole facility, he's the only person that's true. A true friend.

"A lot's happened," He breathed, pulling from the hug. He sat back down and I took a seat on the table.

"So. Recently, someone has been sentenced to jail for the mass murdering of one hundred and two people. Threw a bomb on the building."

"Ok," I nodded, "And . . . "

"The thing is, he didn't do it. It was a mistake on our part. There was trouble with the mission and the task force acted in haste to get the job done. That man didn't do a thing. He was framed . . . by Vera."

My lips parted as I frowned. "W-Why would she do that? How did she do that?"

Grant tilted his head, "We're talkin' about Vera Thorne here."

"True," I agreed.

"Now that we know about Project X, my guess is that she would want it make it seem like Society had nothing to do with it to keep the alliance together. Because if the President did find out it was us, he has the power to shut this place down," Grant theorized.

"So then all we need to do is get in touch with the President and prove that is was us and that the man is innocent," I said.

"Yeah? And how are we gonna do that, walk through the front door of the White House like we're neighbors?" Grant fired. I was taken aback by his snappy reply.

"I like the sass today," I nodded.

"You're so rubbing off on me," He shook his head with a smile.

"It ain't a bad thing," I replied. "Let's just put this to the back of our minds for now and focus on the rogues."

"Oh yeah, yeah."

"Grant there's a whole group of them. They have this house or warehouse where they meet. I made sure not to kill any of them when I was on the rescue mission. We need to somehow get in touch with them so we can team up."

"And how are we gonna do that?" He asked.

" . . . We find the mole."

"Vera did daily polygraphs for weeks while you were gone. Everything came back clean, she stopped doing them because she's convinced  Pierre was just bluffing and trying to pit us against each other," Grant explained.

"I mean I wouldn't put it past him, but we're trained liars. Isn't there someway to . . . I don't know, trick the polygraph?"

"There is," He pointed. "Alright. Let's find the mole."

"Let's do it," We high-fived.

____________________________

A/N - do you think they'll be able to find out its Kimber 🤔.

what are your thoughts on this chapter? I hope you guys are still enjoying the story 😌😌.

Votes/Comments, are much appreciated! x

- kya h.