09 | unknown

GREY

Society isn't what it's portrayed to be.

Twenty-four hours later and Grant's words are still circling my brain. I knew I was right. I knew this place wasn't all just for a "good cause." It's like everybody here is programmed to say that.

It was killing me inside that I had no idea what lied behind Grant's words. He left me in complete suspense. Did it have something to do with that suspicious file?

Maybe I could sneak around in the air ducts and see if I can find any rooms to eavesdrop on. Or maybe I could-

"Grey comment s'est passée ta journée? " Ms. Belrose, the French Linguistics teacher tugged me out of my scheming thoughts.

"C'est très bien, que diriez-vous?" I replied with no hesitation, each word rolling off my tongue with ease. Ms. Belrose's countenance clearly showed she didn't think expect me to answer so off-handedly.

"Smooth," Jett whispered.

I sat with my arms folded across my chest, and let my mind wonder away from the boring lesson. The un-thrilling white walls with thin black lines going both vertically and horizontally, did not make it better. I just couldn't devote myself to paying attention today when my mind was so distracted.

Mid sentence, Ms. Belrose stopped when Cora's hologram assembled.

"A message : Grey is to report to Vera's wing on level 1."

"Ok thank you," She replied. "Grey," She cocked her head towards the door. I got up from my seat and left, a little glad that I was able to leave.

When I arrived, Vera's office was empty so I took a seat on the couch. The silver coffee table had a two empty porcelain tea cups. A kettle with the smoke billowing through the tip and a little silver tin of sugar cubes alongside the box of herbal tea. Vera then strolled from the hallway nearby, her clicking heels echoing.

"Hello Grey."

"Hi."

She took a seat on the opposite side. Clad in a black pencil skirt with a deep blue blouse. Her hair pinned up in her signature hairstyle. "Do you want any tea, coffee, water. I have-"

"Just get on with it," I rolled my eyes with my elbow rested on the arm of the couch. Head leaning against my fist.

"Fair enough," She finished making her cup of piping hot tea, plopping one last sugar cube in. "You're going to take your Sim Test."

"My what now?"

"Simulation Test. It's basically going to put you in multiple situations that evaluate your skill. All that you've learned is going to be put to the test."

I picked my head up, now intrigued. "Ok then how is that supposed to work?"

"A serum will be injected into your system. Helps to clear your mind, relax your muscles. But more importantly, to stimulate your mind. You won't remember anything when you wake up. But I'll have the results."

It's all so sudden and hard to swallow. I'm going to be tested on my skills and I won't even remember what I did or saw.

"It's extremely early for you to take this test considering the mere couple months you've been here," Vera continued. "But I've been monitoring your progress. You've been doing remarkable. Your teachers have also informed me of your immense progression. And I think you're ready."

Very curious on what Xander said about me. 

"Damon," Vera called and in he came. I had gotten used to her constantly calling in her goons for every little thing.

"Take her to Medical."

I got up with reluctance and walked alongside of him.

Once we entered the Medical wing, he lead to one of the examine rooms. This one was distinctly different from all the others. Same white walls and mirror like polished white floors. But a chair was centered in the middle of the room. It was grey leather and looked like a dentist chair, slightly reclined back.

"The doctor will be in shortly," Damon informed, closing the door before he left. My eyes were glued to the intimidating chair in the room and my stomach fluttered with butterflies. It was a such rare feeling.

When the door clicked open and Grant walked through, my ball of nerves immediately released.

"Ready G?"

"No."

"It'll be fine don't worry," He ensured.

He took out a blue tray from a bottom cabinet, putting a few alcoholic wipes on it. He then opened a glass cabinet above the counter and pulled out a black case with a zipper trailing along the sides.

He unzipped it and his latex gloved hand pulled out a metal syringe with a bright blue liquid in the barrel. He set it on the blue tray.

"Alright. It's time."

I took a seat in the chair, shutting my eyes and inhaling deeply. I had no idea what I was about to encounter in this test and that's what made my heart race.

"Ok I'm gonna need you to pull up your sleeve and lay your arm on the arm rest," Grant instructed and I followed suit. He dabbed the crook of my arm with the cooling alcoholic wipes.

He grabbed the syringe and the sight of the intimidatingly long needle made my stomach flip. I averted my gaze with my lips pressed into a thin line, not wanting to look.

"Hey," Grant whispered. "Look at me."

I met his locking stare.

"You're going to fine alright? I promise," He said confidently.

I nodded, feeling a little less tense.

"How is Vera supposed to get my results?" I asked.

"Well the Sim Test is like a brain test. After I inject you I'm gonna connect you to a machine and that's going to monitor your brain activity. There's three assessments that you need to pass. Technically four assessments, but that's too hard. Only one person passed that one so Vera doesn't count it."

"Ok," I breathed. "I'm ready."

I looked straight ahead with a hard expression as Grant neared my skin with the needle. I grimaced bit back a whimper when I felt the prick, evolving into a burning sensation. I could feel the serum mix with my bloodstream.

Grant slowly pulled it out and I started to prepared myself for the unknown.

"Ok," Grant put the empty syringe down and rolled over a metal table with an unfamiliar machine on it, along with a screen on the side. "Let's hook you up."

"When is this stuff supposed to work?"

"Soon enough my friend," He attached the small creme colored suction cups to either sides of my temples with long black wire stemming off each suction.

"Grant when is this supposed to kick in? I feel no different, I-"

A wave of dizziness and an involuntary feeling of heavy eyes overcame me.

"Grant," I called hazily. "What's, what's ha-"

Everything went black.

______________________________

A/N - The actual test is gonna be chapter 10. hope this wasn't too boring, just wanted to lead up to it!

It'll prob give you the Divergent vibes lol. But I did not intend it to be that way . . . it just kinda happened and then I was like oh shoot this is like Divergent 😮😂. But I promise that this story has an entirely different plot than Divergent.

But anyway I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! x

- kya h.