Day 23 Write a story from the POV of a mythical creature

The Kelpie

There are many stories about us. One more gruesome than the other. They are all true. And at the same time they are all wrong.

It’s funny really how humans justify their own actions, but when another creature acts after its own nature, it becomes repulsive, cruel, horrific.

And they’re wrong. What we do is not an act of cruelty, it’s an act of love too.

Does it surprise you that creatures like us can fall in love too?

I remember the day I met him. He was beautiful for a human. At least I thought so. I have watched many humans in my life. They stroll the forests that surround our lakes and rivers. I envy them. They seem so content with their lives, however short they are. I watched as they laughed and made love.

In the few years they have, they live their lives to the fullest.

I wanted that too. So I kept watching them and one day I edged closer than I had ever dared. And then they noticed me.

First they were taken in by my appearance. I know how mesmerizing my blue mane is for humans. But they also know the stories. And I watched as one of them held back his friends as they tried to approach me. They said some things, but I could not hear their words. It was clear to me though that they were frightened. And they ran.

It made me feel so terribly lonely. I hung my head and wailed.

I was so sure they had all left that I did not notice him at first. He was young. Perhaps on a quarter of his human years.

As I said, he was handsome for a human.

And he was studying me carefully. His eyes were kind and curious and I took a step closer.

He took a step back and I stopped, waiting. I did not want to scare him away like the others. I wanted to watch him a little longer. Maybe finally I could learn something more about humans. Why they enjoyed life so fully. Was it because of their mortality?

He muttered something then as he sat down, and again I could not hear his words. I regretted that.

After what seemed like hours, he stood up and I ran.

I was certain I would never see him again.

But he came back to the forest, this time on his own and he sat but the water edge for hours. I was hiding below the surface, listening and watching. Wondering.

He came again the next day. And the day after. On the third day he had an instrument with him and he played a sweet, sad melody.

The fourth day I was waiting. This time I was wearing my disguise of a human girl.

He startled when he noticed me on a rock near the river bank, but then he smiled and came closer. It was too far for my liking, but I suppose he was cautious.

And then he spoke. His voice was even more beautiful than I remembered.

“Is it you?”

I nodded. No mater what form I am in, I can not speak the human language, though I can understand it better in this form.

“What is your name?” he asked.

But I was unable to tell him. My name, my true name, is impossible to pronounce in human tongue. And even if I could speak it, I would not. It would give him power over me and that was something I could not let happen.

“Don’t be frightened,” he said when he noticed my hesitation. I shook my head. It was strange to hear him say those words when it should be him that was afraid. Did he not know what I was? Did he not care?