Day 17 Combine challenge 13, 14 and 15 into a short story

Marcus let out a heavy sigh as he looked up at the billboard. “The gas prizes are up again,” he complained.

His companion shrugged. “Everything is getting more expensive. It’s because of the recession.”

Marcus looked at him. “I thought they said it was over.”

“Of course they tell you that. They want you to buy more stuff. It’s the way the world works. Basic economics.”

“Always so skeptical Chris,” Marcus shook his head.

“Not skeptical, realistic. Let’s face it. Drop the word recession and everyone gets concerned about debts and mortgage and stuff. So they stop buying all the luxury products. Result? Everything going down the drain, recession getting worse, people losing their jobs, and we’re full circle.”

Marcus didn’t comment and patiently waited for the younger boy’s rant to end. He liked the kid. The boy had been through a lot.  His mother had died when he was still young and his father struggled to pay the rent. It was times like that that made Marcus feel ashamed for coming from a wealthy family. “Come,” he said, “Jess is waiting for us.” He nodded towards the car that was parked several feet away.

His girlfriend smiled when they reached her and he kissed her.

“Ewww,” Chris commented, “do you have to do that with me standing here?”

“Hello to you too, cous,” Jess smiled.

Chris rolled his eyes at his cousin. “Let’s go already. I’m starving.” He climbed in the back of the car and waited for Marcus to get in as well. He leaned forward over the passenger set. “So, what are you gonna do about your apartment?”

Marcus sighed. “I don’t know yet. My landlord is really pissed about the animals. But I can’t just get rid of them. They’re mine. I care about them. I guess I’ll have to move.”

“You know I’d take the dog,” Chris commented, “Buck is great. My dad doesn’t object.”

“I know,” Marcus sighed. It was a kind offer, but he still had a hard time adjusting to the idea of giving up even one of his animals. He looked out of the window, smiling when a little girl came dashing out of a nearby store, almost running into Jess’ car. Her mother followed closely behind, struggling with two bags of groceries, calling after the child to stay close to her.

When he turned back, he found Jess smiling at him. “What?” he asked.

Jess shook her head. “Nothing,” she answered and turned the key.

Marcus sighed again and rubbed his temple. “Alright,” he nodded, “I’ll bring Buck over this weekend and we’ll see how it goes. But I’m keeping the cats. And Fuzz too.”

Chris choked on a laugh. “You named the rabbit Fuzz?”

“Got a problem with that?” Marcs threatened.

“No, but he might,” Chris smirked.

Behind the wheel, Jess laughed softly.  “He’s not even that fuzzy,” she said.

Marcus shrugged. “It suits him.” 

Jess shook her head amused. Sometimes her boyfriend was adorably innocent.