Come Back Home

I walked down the school hallway, head down and staring at my feet. Well, at least I tried to. I can barely see my feet, let alone my legs. I did my best to ignore the vulgar comments aimed towards me, and even though I'd like to admit that I'm used to it-I never have, and never will be.

I wish I was more confident in myself, and that size doesn't matter, but the people around me make it hard to even think that. Every day at school is pure torture for me, and it's like I'm already living in hell. I'd go to sleep crying, and wake up with a fake smile on my face when my mother asks how I am in the morning. Inside, I'm dying, but the blame is all on society-and partially me.

It's all because I'm fat. I'm not skinny, have perfect skin, long, shiny, silky hair. I'm not even naturally beautiful. It hurts more that my brother, who I admit is incredibly handsome, gets ashamed when people are surprised that I'm not skinny, fit, and pretty like him.

But ever since my father died, I've been going through depression for, well, all of my junior high and high school life. Kyuhyun, my brother, seemed to let go easier, but I haven't. I'm the type of person who holds on tightly to things, and people, and it's hard to let go of them. Ever since then, I've been eating more and gaining weight. But my depression has been increasing with all the bullying aiming towards me.

Reaching my locker, I numbly rotated the lock and unlocked it, opening the metal door and grabbing my Calculus book. With a sigh, I made sure I had all my problems finished because I left my paper inside overnight. I faintly smiled that I finished, but soon my smile turned to harsh lip biting when suddenly my locker door slammed shut on my fingers. The pain was unbearable but I didn't let any sounds out my mouth, but tears soon welled up in my eyes.

"See? I was right. It is Hanafatko." A familiar deep voice rang out. I heard laughter from both genders and I blinked harshly to not let my tears fall. I didn't have to look to see who it was, because he' s been bullying me since my father's death.

Quickly, I pulled my hand back from my locker and closed it, locking the lock and turning the other way. I felt my walls falling apart again as I walked away while they laughed and made more comments concerning my weight and terrible acne.

Why me of all people? I thought in desperation as I made my way to my first class, which was Calculus.

-

"Hey, sweetie. How was school?"

I just noticed my mom was in the kitchen, so I stumbled back at her sudden question. Usually she's at work at around this time.

"I-uh, school was great." I hid my now swollen and bruised hands by crossing my arms. "You're here from work early."

"I finally got a vacation, because you know, it's almost Christmas." I saw my mother smile beautifully and I was envious for a split second. She's tall, skinny, and naturally beautiful. "I get to finally spend time with you and Kyuhyun more than just during breakfast. Isn't that wonderful?"

"Yes, I missed spending time with you." I responded flatly as I opened the fridge and grabbed a can of soda. "How long is your vacation?"

"It's until January 5th. " I nodded at her reply as I made my way to the island and sat down on a bar stool, opening the can and taking a quick sip. I watched as my mother's eyes roamed my body until they landed on something in front of me on the table. A worried and serious expression crossed her face and I quickly looked down to see what she was looking at.

"Who did that to you?!" She demanded, making her way around the island to my side. I dug my hands into my jacket pockets, reluctant to show them to her.

"N-No one did." I mumbled, not letting her see my damaged hands. "I accidentally closed my locker on my hands."

"You're not stupid enough to slam your locker on your hands!" I heard the worry in her voice as she strongly pulled my hands out my pockets and looked at them. Tears automatically streamed down my face and I turned my face so she can't see my vulnerability. "Tell me, Hanako, who did this to you?"