Chapter 19

We were separated from Bucky. Steve insisted that I stay with him and two other guys (one of which was a king of something, apparently). He told the officials he dragged me into this mess and that it's only right that I stayed with them. They didn't see me as a threat, so they were fine with it.

I had no idea where they were taking us. I sat in the backseat with the now wingless dude. The cuffs hurt my wrists, but I ignored the pain. I was beyond worried for Bucky.

"And who are you?" Steve's friend asked me suddenly. I sighed. "Andrea Ryder. I'd shake your hand but..."

"Sam Wilson", he said flatly. He never even looked at me. His eyes were fixated at the guy in black, who sat in the seat in front of us with Steve, glaring angrily.

"So, you like cats?", Sam asked sarcastically.

"Sam", Steve said warningly.

"What? Dude shows up dressed like a cat and you don't wanna know more?" Sam fought back. I was curious to know who he was, too.

"Your suit. Vibranium?" Steve ignored Sam and turned to the guy next to him.

The prince nodded. "The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle passed from warrior to warrior. And now because your friend murdered my father, I also wear the mantle of king. So I ask you, as both warrior and king, how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?" He spoke calmly and firmly. The speech was a bit melodramatic in my opinion, but it did upset me quite a lot.  

"Woah, woah", I spoke up, drawing their attention. "I'm sorry about your dad, but Bucky didn't kill him." Sam was looking at me with a confused expression. The king didn't say anything. "He was with me the whole morning", I continued.

"Quiet!" An agent shouted from the front seat. I leaned back, staring intensely at the back of the king's head. He didn't move a muscle.

-----------------

We finally arrived at some kind of a military base, quite like SHIELD. We were uncuffed as soon as we got out of the car. I looked around. There were people in uniforms everywhere. Suddenly, I saw Bucky. He was in some kind of a glass cell. Some agents were wheeling it away. I felt Sam's hand on my back as he pushed me forward, away from Bucky and towards a group of people.

"What's going to happen to him?" Steve asked them while still approaching. He seemed a bit angry, and so was I. It wasn't fair to Bucky to keep him in a cell while we roam free around the building.

"The same thing that ought to happen to you. Psychological evaluation and extradition", a short man in a gray suit replied calmly. A blonde girl stood on his right. "This is Everett Ross, deputy task force commander", she spoke.

Steve ignored her. "What about our lawyer?"

The short man chuckled humorlessly. "Lawyer, that's funny. See to their weapons are placed in the lock up", he added as two men rolled some carts past us. All our weapons were on there. "Oh, we'll write you a receipt."

"I better not look out the window and see anybody flying around in that", Sam said grumpily. I watched as my precious guns rolled away in a pile of clothes and other weapons. I felt so vulnerable without them within reach.

"You will be provided with an office instead of a cell. And do me a favour, stay in it", the short man said, walking away. We followed in silence.

I saw someone walking towards the group. I immediately recognized the familiar red hair and confident walk. I sped up. She stopped as soon as she saw me, her eyes wide and surprised. It felt good seeing a friendly face. She smiled for a fraction of a second. Once we got close enough, she turned on her heel and started walking with us. She turned to Steve.