26. A Necessary Death

Start from the beginning

Minerva's lips thinned and her face soured when I made my demand.

"You're just like your father, never trusting anyone even his own mother."

I remained silent sending her a nasty glare and waited for her to keep her word. If I had to choose  whom I should trust between Daemon and Minerva, hell, I'll choose Daemon between the two.

"Fine,  I promise you that no harm will come to your friends by any member of Medio Terrae."

Minerva turned and walked outside the room and stopped in her tracks as she waited for me to follow her. Turning to my friends, Daniel mouthed to me that they'll be alright with Scar Face.

Beginning with a small tentative step, I followed Minerva outside into the brightly lit hallway.

"The portraits you see here are of your ancestors that have been leaders of Medio Terrae." Minerva explained as I trailed behind her.

I spared a glance at few of the portraits and stopped in my tracks when I saw a familiar face. Turning to face this portrait completely, I recognized this person's face. This person was the one who assured me at night that there was no monster under my bed, the person who first taught me how to ride my bike, and now the person that laid in a hospital bed with a coma.

"Dad," I muttered as tears began to well up behind my eyes.

I refused to believe that any of my parents were involved in this crazy cult but seeing my father's portrait proved to me that he was. Glancing at the words below his portrait were words engraved on a small plaque; John Beaumont at 18.

"Your father was supposed to be the leader of Medio Terrae until he married your mother." Minerva said with distaste.

"He told me that he didn't want to be a part of a family tradition that murders." Minerva added with a scoff.

"My father wouldn't want to be a part of a tradition that murders angels and demons for the sake of having power over Heaven and the Nether Realm." I argued. I didn't like the tone she had with my mother, how dare she?

"Is that what Angelo and Daemon told you?" She cackled.

"How did you know who they are?" I asked.

"We've been watching you since you were born and the minute you were assigned a guardian angel, as well as the second you agreed to play games with a demon." Minerva said.

"We simply don't murder for the sake of power, we murder to maintain the balance of power between Heaven and the Nether Realm. Medio Terrae exists so humans have a choice which side to worship; Heaven or the Nether Realm. A dominating side can cause many consequences to mortals like us."

"It's not right for mortals like us to meddle with affairs far from our reach." I replied.

"That may be so. Yet without us, humans would become slaves to one dominating side."

I remained silent because there was no use in arguing with a psychotic woman. Minerva took my arm where Daemon and Angelo's mark spread.

"You are indeed the Bridal Fruit. Your mere existence can save many lives." she said as she examined the twirls and intricate design the golden and onyx ink made.

"Your day of birth was supposed to be the day of your death. However, your father meddled with the balance of power and asked your demon for help, which made you the Bridal Fruit." she tsked.

"What do you mean?" I asked her confused. I tried to pull my hand away from her but Minerva's hand tightened its grip on my arm.

"Medio Terrae knew that you were going to be the Bridal Fruit because you were born on the exact day and the exact minute the planets aligned. There have been many Bridal Fruits before you, but we never expected one of ours" she pointed to me "to be the Bridal Fruit."

Her words pieced together the confusing puzzle pieces of my identity. The day of my birth was the day of my death. Angelo's vision of my father asking for Daemon's help to save me and my mother was really true. Then that meant...Medio Terrae wanted to kill me since the day I was born.

"Your cult tried to kill me." I whispered.

Minerva's grip tightened even more, this time her hand was cutting off the circulation.

"We tried to kill you. I even administered the poison into your blood myself." Minerva admitted.

I managed to pull my numbed arm away. "How could you? To your own granddaughter?" I gritted my teeth.

"Did you think it was easy for me to kill my only grandchild?!" Minerva screeched, her eyes blazing with fury. "I had a duty as the current leader of Medio Terrae and in order to maintain the balance of power, family has to be sacrificed."

"And don't be angry with me now, you are alive and well after all." Minerva added.

I glowered at her but then inside, I felt a small feeling of gratitude towards Daemon for helping me live. Although my life cost my father's life and with my life, I'll find a way to wake my father once again.

Minerva looked into my eyes and back at my forearm. "You haven't chosen from either of them have you?"

I shook my head slowly.

"It's not much of a choice is it?" Minerva scoffed. "You either choose the monster or the opportunist."

It irked me for Minerva to describe Angelo as an opportunist. He was far from anything like that.

"How dare you call Angelo an opportunist? You know nothing about him!" I accused her.

"Who said I was talking about your angel?" Minerva sneered.

"But it's alright, my child." she murmured. "You don't have to be obligated to choose anymore..." she trailed before pulling a knife  from her sleeve ready to stab me to death.

I backed up against the wall which was a bad idea because the knife almost lodged itself in my eye if I hadn't dodged it. I tried to remember the rune that Daemon taught me but failed. I was too scared for my life to think straight.

Minerva was bracing herself for another knife throw before her throwing arm was chopped off and blood spilling and squirting all over the polished floor. It was as if an invisible axe sliced off her entire arm.

She screamed and wailed as she grabbed her ripped arm. I felt nauseous at the sight of the blood that began to slowly pool towards me.

I stumbled back before a strong muscled arm stabled me and caught me by the waist. I turned to my savior expecting to drown into warm hazel eyes only to see Daemon's playful blue orbs staring down at me.

Whoo! I can't believe we're already at Chapter 26! I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and please don't forget to vote and comment!

Xoxo,

Angelique <3