Chapter 50

Cassidy Hoskins 

Cliffton High was unusually silent. Cassidy was used to hearing the noise of hundreds of student and staff crowded inside campus. She was accustomed to the usual scene of students crowding around their lockers or jumbled around in their classes doing who knows what. 

Then again, it was a Sunday. 

Cassidy felt the need to come to school. She had to see it for herself. She had to go to the place where Sylvia died. 

The tears fell so easily from Cassidy's eyes. She wiped them with her sleeve, fingering the metal cross around her neck. 

Sylvia's own cross would be with her possessions, either cremated with her body or kept with her parents. 

Cassidy had never met Sylvia's parents. One way or another, Cassidy wanted to be there for Sylvia's funeral, to bid her one last goodbye. 

Even now, Cassidy couldn't believe Sylvia was dead. How had it happened? She'd called up Sylvia's phone in a futile effort, only to have the line go on and on and on. She'd checked the news on TV, checked the newspapers, and they all said the same thing. 

Two girls, found dead in school, by the names of Ponnie Adams and Sylvia Thorne. 

Cassidy was also shocked to hear that Ponnie had died, even more shocked to hear how her boyfriend Jonah had been found at the scene. But Cassidy didn't care about that. Her first priority was her best friend. 

The tears rolled down Cassidy's cheeks as Cassidy walked slowly down the empty school corridors to the construction site. 

Cassidy had called Jack up last night. Sylvia's boyfriend had been distraught. He'd been weeping over and over on the other line. Cassidy had gone over to Jack's house this morning. The two of them wept together. 

Cassidy reached the entrance to the construction site. There was still a pool of dried blood there. Cassidy felt the vomit reaching her throat and she turned around before she could puke. 

She forced herself to walk away. The tears were still streaming down her cheeks and she wiped them off adamantly. 

"Sylvia..." Cassidy said, her voice rising in the air. "Sylvia...I wish I could have seen you one last time. It's only been one day but I miss you so much. You were...were my best friend. My truest friend. You were there for me when my father died. You were there for me all the time." 

Cassidy sobbed, looking up at the sky, hoping Sylvia could hear her speak. She clutched onto the cross around her neck. 

"I hope you're in a better place, Sylvia. I'll never forget you," Cassidy said. 

She remembered her dream with the boxes. "And I'm sorry." 

Cassidy looked down, the tears dripping off her nose and onto the floor like a runny tap. She sniffed, wiping her tears off with the back of her hand. 

She knelt down on the ground and grieved. 

In the space of the past two months, Cassidy had lost so many things that meant so much to her. She'd lost Scott, she'd lost her father, she'd lost Sylvia. 

Her father was dead. Her best friend was dead. No one Cassidy loved was left to care or comfort her anymore. Rosa, yes, she was there. But she was old. She wouldn't always be there. 

Cassidy had always dreamed that she and Sylvia would one day go on a holiday around the world to visit other countries. It was always a dream to her that she could go see the world with her best friend. Now it was just that...a dream. Something she could never again accomplish.