Chapter 28

Cassidy Hoskins

 "Ready to get going?" Scott asked, shooting Cassidy a brilliant white smile as he emerged from the boy's locker room. 

Cassidy smiled back, holding onto his arm. She loved watching Scott play football. "Sure." 

Scott had just wrapped up a football practice session. Today was Saturday. Cassidy watched as Scott waved goodbye to the rest of his team, then beckoned to him as they crossed the large football field of Cliffton High. 

Their first official date. Cassidy may have looked impassive from the outside, but in truth, she could hardly wait. Maybe now she could finally get a better chance to know Scott and feel more connected to their relationship. 

"Over here," Scott said, pointing over at his car. 

It looked like an ordinary - and run down - van from the outside, but Cassidy knew better. Scott nicknamed the van, "The DeeJay" because he had a whole DJ system wired in the back of the van. That was why it was such a blast at parties. Come to think of it, Cassidy was sure she'd seen the DeeJay at Iona's party. That had to mean Scott would've been in the back, manning the DJ for the partygoers. If only Cassidy had gone there to look for Scott instead of falling into the pool and getting kicked out and humiliated. 

"Gelato Inn" was a small, two-storey building that greatly resembled old English cottages that used to exist centuries ago. Inside, there were circular tables and booths arranged in neat little rows. Cassidy and Scott took a corner booth at the far end, away from the other customers. 

Looking wistfully at all the other couples kissing and giggling in the booths, Cassidy wondered if she could ever envision that sort of future with Scott. Sadly for her, it was much too late to worry about that now. 

When Scott was available and still the prize she'd desired, she'd only known his good values. She'd focused on his good looks, his charm, his athleticism and maturity...she'd never really given much consideration to whether or not he would be a suitable boyfriend for her. Even now, she couldn't shake off a sense of unease in the pit of her stomach. She just hoped today's date would change her impression of that. 

"I'll go get you some ice-cream. What's your favorite flavor?" Scott asked, pulling out his wallet. 

"I like peppermint," Cassidy offered. 

Scott shrugged. "Ok." 

He walked off towards the counter. Despite the fact that Scott had asked Cassidy what flavor of ice-cream she preferred, he seemed indifferent to her answer, as if he was only asking for the sake of asking and not to learn something new about her. Cassidy was feeling even more uneasy by now. 

Sitting back in her seat, Cassidy flipped out her smartphone and sent out a text to Sylvia. She felt more confident just knowing that her friend would be there to give her support. 

"Here," Scott said, walking back with a cup of ice-cream in each of his large hands, one peppermint and one chocolate. 

"Thanks," Cassidy replied, reaching out to take the cup from him. 

"So, first date, huh?" Scott asked. 

"Yeah." 

"How about you tell me about yourself?" Scott suggested. 

Cassidy didn't know where to start, but she decided a little background information wouldn't hurt. 

"Well, okay. I'm an only child. I live at the Hoskins Estate in downtown San Francisco. I'm not trying to boast, but my dad's pretty rich. He's the CEO of EDITORIAL DELIGHTS, you know, the fancy-pants fashion magazine?" 

"I've heard of it on the news. One of the people who worked there died recently, didn't he?" 

"Yeah, he was murdered, not that it has anything to do with my dad. Is there anything else you want to know about me?" 

"How about past relationships?" Scott asked. "Any crazy ex-boyfriends I should take note of?" 

"Nope. I had three, but I don't think any of them want anything more to do with me." 

"Why? You cheat on them?" Scott asked. His tone was cold. 

"What? No, I didn't cheat on them. I just didn't feel a connection with them and so we broke up," Cassidy said defensively. 

"Ok." 

"So what about you?" Cassidy offered. 

Scott leaned back, his hair falling in front of his eyes, giving him a very devil-may-care expression. "Well, for starters, I am also an only child. My father died in an accident when I was 6." 

"I'm so sorry." Cassidy meant to sound sincere - she really was sorry about Scott's loss - but she should've known that the words would only sound fake to Scott. 

Scott didn't seem to take notice. "As for my mother, I see her from time to time. She's working at her job full-time, so I hardly get to see her. But I know she loves me. She'd do anything to protect me." 

Cassidy nodded. 

"You never mentioned your mother," Scott said. 

"Well, she and my dad got divorced one year after I was born. Apparently, my mother preferred her job over her family and I was pushed to my father. I'm glad for that, because otherwise my mom would probably have taken me and migrated to Australia or something like that," Cassidy answered. "And what about your past relationships, Scott?" 

"I've had a fair few," Scott said, his eyes twinkling. "Any girl who's caught my eye usually becomes mine." 

There was something about the way Scott said that that made the hairs on Cassidy's arm stand on end. 

"So you're used to getting any girl you want, right?" Cassidy joked. "Well, I can't deny that most girls are willing to throw themselves at you. I certainly was." 

Scott nodded. "Yes, Cassidy." 

The two ate their ice-cream in silence. Cassidy felt like she was starting to understand Scott a little better now. She only hoped that understanding him would make their relationship a success