"I'm sorry, but, I have to work to live." She mumbled then returned to the fridge to stare in it once more, "I don't have the luxury that some people have of earning money for doing nothing...I never did."

"Never did?" Pandora questioned.

"I've worked sense I was 11, my parents struggled every day to raise us, to keep us fed, clothed and a roof over our heads." She replied with a shrug.

He understood her but he wasn't sure Pandora could fathom it, he was positive Pandora had lived a very privileged life compared to what he and obviously Aria had lived. So that was another thing they had in common, they both had grown up underprivileged. However, he hadn't known struggle for many years now so he was unsure of exactly how it was these days. Finishing the last patch he turned to Aria who had closed the fridge again and sat back down he gave her a triumphant smile.

"Paint job complete, the white really brightens it up in here." He said then sat on the arm next to her on the loveseat, "Decided what you want?" he questioned.

Shrugging she frowned, "I'll figure something soon I'm sure." She muttered as her stomach let out a low growl causing her to flush.

"Sounds like your body is saying make a decision now." He chided then reaching forward he brushed her cheek with the back of his fingertips.

Getting up she opened her fridge again cocking her head to the side then grabbing a bag out of her freezer drawer she sat it on the counter, walking over he picked up the bag and looked at it.

"Crispy Chicken Tenders." He read aloud, unfamiliar with human foods the image on the bag didn't look appealing, flipping it over he looked on the back and read it then setting it down he reached over and flipped on her stove, "Is this all you're eating?" he questioned rubbing his forehead with his fingertips, he was positive she should eat something else.

"I usually would make mashed potatoes and gravy with them but I don't have the stuff." She shrugged.

"I'll go get it if you just tell me what to get, as a member of the undead I have no real clue about this stuff, I mean I know how to cook in a general sense." He said.

"Potatoes, only a couple small ones, and a jar of brown gravy would be fine." She replied then walking over to her bed she lifted the corner of her mattress and handed him a few crumpled bills.

"You must have not understood me when I said I'd get it." He replied shoving her hand away, "I enjoy doing things for you." He replied then cupping her face he kissed her forehead, "I'll be back in a few."

"Be careful out there Able, your face may as well be on a wanted poster." Pandora said stiffly.

"Always am." He replied then left out.

It didn't take him long to arrive at the store around the corner that Enrick had last found him in and everything seemed quiet before he stepped in the door. Immediately he noted that the cashier was not at the counter and the store seemed deserted, the scent of one of his kind lingered in the air; a loud rustle caught his attention from a closed door that read Staff Only. Hurrying to the door he pulled on it only to discover it was locked, using his strength he yanked on it popping the lock and hinges loose, inside were two of his kind and 3 humans whom cowered against the wall.

"What in God's name is going on?" he snarled as the two young vampires spun to face him, "You all just don't get it, I said no hunting in my territory." He snarled out then reaching forward he snatched the two younger ones up and drug them from the store and around into the alley. Once he was in the alley however he realized he'd been set up, someone knew he was coming here which meant they were still watching Aria's apartment.

"Ah, what a pleasure to have you join us." A teenaged appearing girl stated, "You're causing somewhat of a problem for my maker you see." She continued.

"Oh, I am, what a pity." He said snarkily, "Do you think I give a damn?" the girls face collapsed in on itself in rage as 3 younger vampires came at him.

Simply putting his hand out in front of him he grabbed hold of one's head, its head stopping and its body continuing to move until the head made an ugly ripping sound, "Oops, objects in motion tend to want to stay in motion." He snarled.

"You're one snarky bastard." She snapped.

Quickly he released the still blinking head and took out the other two. Her face darkened more, "You all really are clueless; it seems you have no knowledge of who you're dealing with." He snarled out, "Ever heard the terms 'Lost Lord' or perhaps 'Merciful Angel of Death'?" he questioned, the remaining 3 young male vampires simply looked clueless but a hint of recognition entered the girls eyes.

"Awful bold to be applying those titles to yourself, egotistical much?" she growled out as the other 3 males went after him; he easily dispatched them leaving only her.

"It's just you and me hunny." He snarled in a menacing tone, "I'd say I'm a gentleman and therefore do not relish in harming a female but...you're no female are you...you're just a vile little leech." He continued then to anger her more gave her a wink.

Screaming in anger she charged at him while pulling out a long dagger he had not noticed on her, "How dare you call me a leech!" she screeched out.

Standing still he let her come at him, her anger was making her blind and clumsy, the blade sliced open the side of his shirt and his side as he caught her up which enraged her more; she started swinging the dagger and jabbing it at him wildly.

"You're a pathetic excuse for even a leech, you're hot headed, unfocused and unskilled." He snarled as her blade went through his shoulder and stuck there.

"I'll kill you, you bastard and when I do my maker will award me greatly!" she screeched in a mix of blind terror and anger.

"Allow me to assist you and send you to your true maker." He growled then ripped into her jugular blood spattering on his face, going down his throat, the wounds she'd made tugging around the edges trying to heal.

Once she was empty he let her body drop then he unceremoniously piled them all together and lighting a match he watched them go up in flames. When they finished burning he returned to the store without even bothering to wipe his face or hands off grabbed the things Aria needed then as he left he smiled tight lipped at the 3 humans.

"I'll take this as payment for saving your lives." At his words they just nodded too frightened to speak to him or object.

He felt angry, he'd promised her he'd be back quickly and their little interference had cost him time. He was angry that he hadn't assumed it might be a setup, angry that the 3 humans would live in fear from that day on.

  ©  Eva Henderson, 2016