Chapter Ten

So, something completely different...I'm struggling with writer's block and I'm hoping that if I write something new, it will get my juices flowing. I saw something on one of the many group's walls and it intrigued me, The Twi-Sci-Fi/Fantasy Contest. I've always been interested in Star Trek and science fiction. Even before Twilight, it caught my attention. I even wrote some Star Trek: Deep Space Nine fic, but never posted it. Anyhow, the idea that I had couldn't really lend itself to a one-shot. I decided to make it full-length fic (or novella...whichever it turns out to be).

Now, none of this mine. I'm not Stephenie Meyer, nor do I claim to be. I just like to play with her characters because they make me forget about my life for a while. I also do not own Star Trek, which the space aspects of the story is loosely based off of. Everything else...is mine.

Chapter Ten

EPOV

Tucking the tablet into my jacket, I walked back toward the holding cell. Jasper and Norex were glaring at each other. "Norex, you have been quite busy," I said, shaking my head as if I was ashamed of him. "What would your brother say? Selling your niece, his daughter to the enemy?" He fumed in his cell. "As far as I'm concerned, you will remain in here. You snarl and yell that Nirabelle's actions are treasonous. I beg to differ, Norex. What you have done is beyond the pale."

Summoning the guards, I had a glare off with Norex. When they arrived, I gave them my orders. "Lord Norex is to remain in this cell until his trial. He is being charged with high treason. The only people allowed to speak with him are his attorney, myself or Empress Nirabelle. His meals will be personally brought down by Commander Whitlock. If he tries anything, he will lose the privilege of visitors and spend the days leading up to his trial in solitary confinement. Do you understand?" I asked.

"Yes, Emperor," they said, saluting me.

"Good," I nodded curtly, leading Jasper up to the throne room. I guided him back to my office, which was now empty. "Jasper, I need you to find out as much as you can about the transaction between Norex and Jakob."

"Is that before or after I play waiter?" Jasper asked, his eyes searing through me.

"I need someone that I can trust to deliver his food and take it away. If it's not you, I'm sending down Emmett or Garrett," I argued. "We have a list of possible moles and now, information implicating someone higher than Norex. We need to find out who."

"Okay," Jasper said, running his hand through his blonde hair. "I'll do some more digging. Why not use your envoy? D'Metri?"

"There's something about him that I don't trust. Jasper, I know you. I know my crew. With corruption spreading through the palace, I need people that I can trust implicitly to do what I need to be done. The first step is to identify the people who are working with the Alphans and why they would do that."

"Do you think those people plotted to have Bella's father executed? Leaked his location on the front lines?" Jasper questioned.

"That's what I'm afraid of," I frowned. "How do I tell Bella that some of the closest advisors and people she's known for her entire life could have led her father to his death?"

BPOV

After the Assembly of Nobles, I walked to Maralice's office. She was seated behind her desk, shuffling through several papers and computer tablets. She appeared to be very frazzled. "Are you alright, Maralice?" I asked, sliding inside of the office.