Episode 4

Chapter 10

Cassandra and Prudence finished off their meal then retired to Cassandra’s room for the evening.

“Do you think Grant sent the box to his parent’s home in error?” Prudence asked.

“No. I think he did it on purpose to ensure that I received it,” Cassandra said. “Anyway, I wanted to show you this.”

Cassandra reached into the bottom of the box and brought out a smaller rectangular box. “Wow!” both her and Prudence exclaimed as Cassandra removed the cover to reveal a beautiful diamond necklace with a cross and a heart pendant. Next to it was a locket to alternate with the heart. Cassandra opened the locket to find the picture of Grant and her that they took on prom night inside.

“That Grant is serious about you,” Prudence said smiling. “This is expensive stuff,” she said touching the jewelry.

“Come on. Help me put it on,” Cassandra said. “How do I look?” she asked fingering the necklace.

“It’s beautiful, really beautiful,” Prudence said.

Reaching into her bedside table drawer, Cassandra pulled out the ring that Grant had given her before he left. She slipped it on her finger. “Don’t they go well with each other?” she asked, proudly laying her hand with the ring across her chest next to the necklace.

“Are you going to show Aunt Nat and Uncle Ben?”

“Yes and no,” Cassandra said removing the jewelry, and placing them back in their boxes. “I’ll be wearing them to church on Sunday for sure; and you, Grant Lee, will be wearing one of your new outfits on Sunday,” she added as she tickled his chin.

___________

Sunday morning was a cloudy day but that did not dampen the joy in Cassandra’s heart as she hurried to the breakfast table. Rev. Nichols had already left for the church. Prudence was already seated at the table with Cassandra’s mother.

“I’ll fix your plate for you,” Prudence offered. “You take care of Grant Lee. Doesn’t he look sharp in his new outfit, Aunt Nat?”

Natalie reluctantly agreed as she looked at Grant Lee with a smile. Her eyes quickly darted to the necklace around Cassandra’s neck as rays of light glittered on the diamonds.

“Where in the world did you get such a beautiful necklace, Cassandra? It looks very expensive,” Natalie asked her daughter.

“It is expensive and Grant sent it. It was at the bottom of the box with Grant Lee’s clothes,” Cassandra beamed. “Do you like it?”

“I have to admit, I do. But, really, it looks so expensive,” Natalie said. “Did he say where he got the money to buy it? I mean, he just started college, he’s not working anywhere, are you sure–”

“Mother, are you trying to imply that he stole it?”

“Oh, I am not trying to imply anything. I was just wondering,” Natalie said. “Well, eat up. You both can ride with me if you want to.”

Cassandra felt good being back in church. She beamed with pride at the many compliments the church-goers paid her about her necklace. “And that’s a beautiful ring,” one of the ladies said to her, lifting Cassandra’s hand to get a better look. Natalie Nichols, who was talking to another one of the church members, swung around when she overheard the words. “Ring? What ring?”

“How come I never saw that ring before?” she asked Cassandra on the way home. “And I notice that you’re wearing it on your ring finger. Where did you get it from? Is it that Grant boy again?”